Can't transition any issues in basic workflow

Andrew Garver July 14, 2017

I am using JIRA Cloud.

I have created a very basic workflow: no conditions, default validation, etc.. All statuses have transitions to and from other statuses.

I assigned the workflow to a project and now cannot transition any issues anywhere.

I have transistion permissions, and have double checked that no transitions in the workflow have conditions.

I have scoured the web for answers all morning, but everyone keeps suggesting checking the permissions or conditions. These aren't the problem in my case; this seems like a bug.

3 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2017

- In my issue view, for backlogged issues, I can click the "plan" button, which will change the status of the item to "to do."

Right, that actually means everything is working fine and you can transition the issues.

It's well worth a look at the issue view, as it can show you the workflow diagram so you can see what goes from where to where.

You say you're unfamiliar with using transition names that show an action word instead of just naming the target status.  If that's a problem, then you might talk to your admins and get the workflow changed, it's just a case of renaming the transitions. 

However, most people recommend having status that describe the current situation of the issue, and verb-like words for actions you perform on them.  Humans don't say "we're going to to-do the issue", they say "we'll plan that one".

- What is more (and this is my real confusion now), if I have issues in the "backlog" status, and I drag them into a current sprint, the issue status is not updated to "to do". How can I implement this?

I really appreciate your support. I am in charge of implementing JIRA for my company and am still trying to figure everything out. I can now transition issues correctly, but I see a popup whenever an issue changes status that prompts me for a comment. I don't know if this is the appropriate place to continue asking questions, but if it is, how might I stop this?

I have figured it out. Thank you!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2017

Transition screens :-)

Yes, this is the right place to ask questions!

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2017

To clarify, you can see the issues and also the workflow buttons? Or the workflow buttons are missing from the issue?

Also, can you verify that you have outgoing transitions from the current status? I am sure you have checked this but just wanted to double check.

Thank you for your quick response. It appears that I don't understand transitions. I can see the appropriate workflow buttons in the issue view, but instead of displaying the status that I would like this issue transitioned to, it displays the name of the transition.

In my use case, I have a "backlog" status with a transition called "plan" going to the "to do" status. In my issue view, for backlogged issues, I can click the "plan" button, which will change the status of the item to "to do." This is different from what I am used to in JIRA.

I am used to the default workflow, in which the workflow buttons contain the various statuses an issue can be moved to, not the transitions that can be done.

What is more (and this is my real confusion now), if I have issues in the "backlog" status, and I drag them into a current sprint, the issue status is not updated to "to do". How can I implement this?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2017

Could you show us the workflow as a starter point?  Then maybe pick on one transition and show us the definitions of the status/step at both ends, and the definition of the transition?

Suggest an answer