Can't see field that new plugin says I should be able to see.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2012

I just installed the "JIRA Admin Helper" plugin and it looks great.

But where I used it first it left me scratching my head.

I asked about a particular field I am not seeing and thought I should. Plugin said it should be there. Tried two fields, a "Parent Summary Field," and an "Extended Summary Field."

The plugin said:

<dl><dt>Status:</dt></dl>

<dl><dd>The 'Parent Summary.' field should be present on the form you are viewing</dd><dd></dd></dl>

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2012

I'm not sure that plugin is fully aware of how a plugin may work.

Those fields are display only if they are the fields I think they are. That means that they have no "edit" renderer. If you add them to a screen, make them valid and so-on, then the your helper plugin will say that they are on that screen. BUT you will only see them on view, because there is nothing there to do the rendering on update type screens.

Also, if you are on a view screen, you need to make sure they have data (this applies to all fields). In the case of these fields, they will, automatically (if they are what I think they are), but you may need ot re-index after installing them before they will show up.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2012

I am still confused about some of the new custom field types that don't seem to show me stuff on any screen. I was in hopes that this tool would help me understand. It did, however, help me with a user permission problem this morning.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2012

I am guessing about the field types, and I've been quite generalised in my response. Could you confirm what type of fields the parent summary and extended summary are?

The reason I ask is that I really do think they are read-only fields, so you won't see them on edit at all, as they've no edit templates, but we can't confirm or deny that without knowing what type they are!

If you're looking at other fields, then again, knowing what the type is would help?

0 votes
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2012

1. "Extended Summary Field" - A custom field for displaying issue's parent issue name.

2. "Parent Summary Field" - A custom field containing summary of current issue's parent issue. But note that field "Parent Summary Field for Subtasks" does work.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2012

Sorry, I really did mean the "type" - where are these field types come from? What plugin is providing them ? They aren't in the off-the-shelf system.

Suggest an answer