Can't search on new calculated date field

Larry M Conroy April 22, 2015

I have a custom field that was added to approximately 450 issues (after their initial creation). It is a calculated field from the date value in a date field and a number value in a number field.  The number field indicates a number of moths and it gets added to the date field to generate a new date.  When I open and look at each of the 450 issues individually, I see the new field and it has the correct calculated date value.  If I perform an advanced search using the new date field, the only issues that the search finds are ones that were created after the new custom field was added to the issue.  In other words, the new calculated date field was created the same time as the rest of the fields and the issue itself.  The search won't find any issues that had the custom field added to it after the original creation.

Any information on what is happening here and how to make the search work will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

2 answers

1 vote
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2015

I believe that kind of behaviour is kinda' normal. You should understand that calculated CFs will always reflect the last indexing of the issue. If the issue is not modified, even if the CF value is changed, it is not reflected in the index.

What's abnormal is the behaviour you describe here "new calculated date field was created the same time as the rest of the fields and the issue itself". IMHO, that is an observational problem. Alter an issue and see if the behaviour is still the same.

Thanks for the reply Radu. I modified the date field of an old issue that is not being found in the search. The new calculated date field was updated but trying the search again does not find that old issue. Any more thoughts?

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2015

What kind of CF is it? I mean, developed in-house, bought, .... ?

I'm assuming CF stands for Custom Field and I created it myself.

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2015

well, in that case, you need to debug the searcher. I suppose you defined a DateRangeSearcher, right ? <customfield-searcher key="datesearcher" name="Date Searcher" class="com.foo.MyDateRangeSearcher"> ... etc ...

0 votes
Alex Corsun January 17, 2016

In my case that was a re-index problem: all the issues got included in the search results after re-index or a bulk change.

Suggest an answer