Can't save attachment to issue

jiraguy November 22, 2012

Hi,

When I try to attach a file to an issue, I get the below error:

• Cannot attach file risk.txt: Exception trying to establish attachment directory. Check that the application server and JIRA have permissions to write to it: com.atlassian.jira.web.util.AttachmentException: Cannot write to attachment directory. Check that the application server and JIRA have permissions to write to: /opt/jira/jira-home/data/attachments/HQA/HQA-611

Any ideas? I am new to Linux and I'm not positive on how to solve this.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2012

Hi there,

From the specified error message, it seems that this may be cause by the folder permission issue, whereby the user (OS) which is running JIRA may not have the permission to write on the home directory.

Therefore, can you kindly check if required, grant the user the read/write/modify permission to the home directory (and it's contents) and see if it helps?

Cheers.

Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 22, 2012
Like Alexander Finch likes this
Kota Sreenivasa Shravana Kumar July 22, 2013

We also faced the same issue. After changing the permissions of attachments folder in Linux to jira resolved the issue.

However, why did this happen ? Was there a configuraiton issue ? or someone changed the ownership of attachments folder to root ? we could not figure it out.

You have any clue ? Thanks

David Lopez January 18, 2018

The same happened to me.  I suppose that Jira might have been started manually as root, what caused root ownership on attachments directory.

1 vote
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2014

Hi,

Could be the limitation of ext3 file system as well.

Please refer :

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Error+Occurs+while+Creating+Attachment

Thanks, Vishnu.

Suggest an answer