Can't link issues in project despite having permission

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2013

I have a user who is trying to link multiple issues in a particular project. They're getting a "you do not have permission to link issues in this project" error, despite the fact that jira-users has that permission granted for the project. Any ideas why?

I'm not sure what else would be helpful to know, but please ask and I'll provide any info I have.

8 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2013

It turns out that the issue was related to a bug in my version of JIRA:

I managed to reproduce the problem and find the cause for it.
It seems we have a bug on JIRA that does not allow users without Edit permission to link issues at the issue creation

The issue is set to be fixed on JIRA 6.

0 votes
Gregory Joseph June 13, 2013

@Miguel: frankly, I have no idea. Time passed and/or the server was restarted. :|

Miguel De Dios June 16, 2013
Just like you said. Time passed and now it works at least for one of the users!
0 votes
Gregory Joseph April 18, 2013

... and now it works again.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2013

So famous hahaha...

Miguel De Dios June 13, 2013

I'm having same issue with a couple users.. anything that you did specifically?

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2013

In this cases what you can do it's create a test user and add the same permissions as the user, create a user exactly like his and try to reproduce it. It's weird that only this user can't do that.

There's at least 10 other users with the same configuration as him ;)

0 votes

I have *one* user with the same problem, although a slightly different symptom. They get the Link dialog, auto-completion of issue key works, but as soon as they want to "save" the link, they get a "you must specify a JIRA issue to link to" error message. (and the issue key is gone from the field)

Their permissions are correct, issue linking is enabled and works for all other users afaik. Nothing shows up in the logs. Happens for any and all projects/issues for that user, while the same works for other users with the groups and roles. Tried with different browsers and machines, no dice.

I'm stumped.

We just noticed that when logged in as that user, the "issueLinkIDs" field was just not passed in the POST request. Odd.

0 votes
Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

make sure the user is part of 'jira-users' group then and see what happens. again, make sure they're trying to link two issues within the same project as well.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2013

I notice he isn't in the Training group, which has edit permission. And, yes you can link across projects as long as you have access to the other project. I think all you need is browse in the other project.

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

yes, she's in the jira-users group, that's the group that gives login access. And yes, she's not in the Training group, and therefore doesn't have edit permissions in the Training project, but she does have Browse permissions in that project, as well as create permissions. The error is occuring whether she tries to link to an issue in the Training project, or to an issue in a different project (where she has full rights).

0 votes
Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

check this ... go to administration and click on 'issue linking.' make sure it's turned on like you see below.

Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

(silly answer, i know. but it's always the silly stuff that ends up biting me in the ass.)

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

It's on. Plenty of other users have no problem linking issues, even in this project. It appears to just be this one user that has issues.

Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

does the problem go away if you were to adjust the permission to group (anyone)?

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

sadly no, the problem doesn't go away

Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

weird. are you sure you're trying to link issues within the *same* project? (hell. i've never tried to link issues across projects so i'm not sure if it's even possible.)

Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

oh! is this user part of the 'users' group?

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

i'm not sure what you mean. here's a list of the groups this user is a member of (obviously most of them won't mean anything to you):

• ccp ambassador team
  • Change Approval Board
  • Client Service Leadership
  • confluence-administrators
  • confluence-users
  • Consulting
  • Enhancement Team
  • Jira Users
  • jira-administrators
  • jira-users
  • Managers
  • Sales Leadership