Can't link confluence page to JIRA issue using application link and OAuth

Yael Frankel March 3, 2012

Trying to set up linking between JIRA 5.0 and Confluence 3.5 and use it to link confluence page to a JIRA issue. Unsuccessfuly so far. Maybe someone can help? Here is what I have so far ...

1. Set up a two-way Application link between JIRA and Confluence servers (and authenticated my user at least)

2. Enabled Remote API on confluence.

3. Configured confluence link in JIRA (Chose the correct SOAP version and etc ...)

4. Can see confluence updates in the activity stream and also add jira issues to a confluence page. I can also add confluence space links to JIRA projects, but ....

I still can't use the issue linking to link a confluence page to a jira Issue.

When I open the link confluence page dialog in JIRA the following happens:

1. If I enter the confluence page URL, I get an error that a confluence page with such a URL doesnt exist (???)

2. I search for a page: the space list is always loading and no matter what search word I enter, I always get a message that no results have been found.

What am I missing? Is there anything else I need to configure so that this will work?

(JIRA and Confluence are both locally hosted, although on different servers temporarily ....)

Any advice will be greatly appriciated

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Logan G Hawkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2012

I just ran into this. The problem is that not all versions of the Application Links plugin are backwards-compatible. Confluence v3.5.6 uses Applinks Product Plugin v3.3. Jira 5.0.x uses Applinks Product Plugin v3.6.4. The two don't play nice with each other, but (AFAIK) there's no way to configure logging to make that clear.

The solution I went with was to upgrade Confluence to v4.3, which has Applinks Product Plugin v3.8.0.
I installed Confluence v4.3 on a spare server, created an Application Link to Jira and problem solved. I could search for (and find) Confluence pages from Jira, the space list populated, and explicit links to Confluence pages rendered. I didn't even have to populate the IP Patterns or URL patterns.

I realize that "Upgrade Confluence" sounds like a cop-out, but it's really the only way. I spent a week fooling with IP and URL patterns and proxy configuration, log settings, and bothering our network guys before I pinged Atlassian Support and found this solution.

Note: Fisheye 2.6, which uses AppLinks v3.4, has similar if less-dramatic issues. The solution there is to upgade Fisheye to version 2.8.

Yael Frankel September 8, 2012

Thanks for the reply. That is what we did eventually and it works fine.

Dan Lohaus January 22, 2013

I have check my two versions of the App Links plugin JIRA (5.0.5) has 3.6.4 as you stated and Confluence (4.2.3) has 3.7.4. Is this a known bad combination?

0 votes
Deleted user March 22, 2012

I'm having the same problem, running Confluence 4.1.7. Otherwise same setup and behaviour.

Suggest an answer