Can't install Jira on my server

naxhh August 5, 2012

Hi!

I'm trying to install Jira in a fresh virtual with proxmox. (debian x64)

When I try to execute the binary downloaded from JIRA it freeze in diferent places everytime I execute it.

Sometimes freezes on extracting libraries.

Others in the starting installer..

What I can do and what I need to be care of?

----

Update:

Ok I add the requested information.

Now the VM have 7600MB free of RAM. so I don't thing this is the problem.

I'm trying to install jira 5.1.1 x64

I installed java 6 jre and jdk

This is one of the logs I found

root@jira:/tmp# cat i4j_log_JIRA_4785807474577282631.log

[INFO] logger started at Mon Aug 06 15:06:35 UTC 2012

[INFO] executable name: /tmp/atlassian-jira-5.1.1-x64.bin

[INFO] install4j version: 5.0.9 (build 5371)

[INFO] Properties:

I didn't found any other kind of log.

4 answers

0 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2012

Hi Nax,

Have you configured the JAVA_HOME variable? https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Installing+Java#InstallingJava-2.SettingJAVA_HOME

It looks like your instance isn't seeing the JVM, so it could be that which is causing your problem.

All the best,
John

0 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2012

Hi Nax,

Have you configured the JAVA_HOME variable? https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Installing+Java#InstallingJava-2.SettingJAVA_HOME

It looks like your instance isn't seeing the JVM, so it could be that which is causing your problem.

All the best,
John

naxhh August 5, 2012

Hi! yes, I didn't have it configured. Now says:

root@jira:/tmp# ./atlassian-jira-5.1.1-x64.bin

Unpacking JRE ...

Starting Installer ...

#

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:

#

# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f8f11e75103, pid=3057, tid=140252360136448

#

# JRE version: 6.0_26-b03

# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (20.1-b02 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)

# Problematic frame:

# V [libjvm.so+0x366103] ClassFileParser::parse_method(constantPoolHandle, bool, AccessFlags*, typeArrayHandle*, typeArrayHandle*, typeArrayHandle*, Thread*)+0x833

#

# An error report file with more information is saved as:

# /tmp/atlassian-jira-5.1.1-x64.bin.3020.dir/hs_err_pid3057.log

#

# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:

# http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp

#

Aborted

But /tmp/atlassian-jira-5.1.1-x64.bin.3020.dir/ doesn't exists!
I noticed in my /etc/enviroment i have JAVA_HOME="/usr/bin"
But when I do echo $JAVA_HOME is an empty string :S
set $JAVA_HOME="/usr/bin" do the same
0 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 5, 2012

Hi Nax,

If your server is hanging during the install process then it could be that the instance doesn't have sufficient resources allocated to install JIRA. Usually it will require at least 700MB* of RAM on top of the resources required by the Operating System. This means that you will require at least 1GB* of RAM available to the server in order to install JIRA. VMs are also a less efficient way of running JIRA, so in the even that you have your instance installe in a VM then it is likely you will need to increase the allocated resources further. Could this be your issue?

All the best,
John

* PLEASE NOTE: The figures quoted here are 'ballpark' figures, and whilst you might be able to get away with allocating slightly less resources these are what I would recommend for installing newer versions of JIRA, (i.e. v4.4 - v5.x).

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2012

Tell us what version of Jira you are using, the version of Java, what the log file says and what the monitoring on the local machine says too. Probably most important are the logs - they should be telling you what the processes involved are doing and where they're locking up.

JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 5, 2012

Well mentioned Nic, I'll update my Answer to ensure that people are aware of the versions that I am referring to.

naxhh August 5, 2012

I updated my question to clarify all you requested for! thanks!

Suggest an answer