Can't find Universal Plugin Manager after upgrade to 4.4

Logan G Hawkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2011

I just upgraded Jira from v4.2.2 to v4.4.3 and for the life of me I can't find the Universal Plugin Manager. All the docs tell me to go to 'Administration' > 'Plugins' > 'Plugins' and I'll see the UPM, but I have no such option with 4.4.3. Instead, Administration has a "Plugins" dropdown that allows me to select which plugin I want to configure. There is no option for starting the UPM so I can configure existing plugins or install more.

I've already verified that I have Jira Administrator permissions, I've upgraded the UPM from v1.4.1 to v1.6.2, I've removed any cached versions of v1.4.1 in the various subdirectories of JIRA_HOME (plugins, .osgi_plugins, .bundled_plugins), and restarted Jira several times.

There are two very odd things afoot:

1. After deleting all instances of atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-plugin-1.4.1 from JIRA_HOME/plugins/* I restarted Jira. New instances of atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-plugin-1.4.1 appeared in the transformed-plugins and .bundled-plugins directories.
  2. The catalina.out file shows that the UPM was discovered but is disabled. The problem there is I can't work out how to enable it without the UPM, giving me a circular dependency.

Has anyone else run into this?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Logan G Hawkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2011

Atlassian Support provided me with the answer. It's a known issue JRA-24218. Here's the workaround:

1. Make a database or XML backup of JIRA.
  2. Shut down the JIRA instance.
  3. Run the following SQL against the JIRA database:
    delete from propertystring where id = (select id from propertyentry where property_key='jira.plugin.state-.com.atlassian.upm.atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-plugin');

delete from propertyentry where property_key='jira.plugin.state-.com.atlassian.upm.atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-plugin';
  4. Reboot the JIRA instance to apply the database changes.

1 vote
Sander Brienen [Avisi]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2011

When you have upgraded jira to version 4.4.3, the UPM should normally be upgraded automatically as well.

Reacting on point 1:

All plugins bundled with jira are automatically extracted from the bundled-plugins.zip that is shipped with jira. Whenever a plugin is removed from the plugin cache in JIRA_HOME it is automatically extracted again from this zip file.

You can try to remove all occurrences of UPM from the plugin cache in JIRA_HOME and then restart Jira. Jira should now start up with the bundled version of UPM. Once it is started you can upgrade the UPM through the UPM itself. It will require a restart though.

Hopefully this will help.

0 votes
Blommetje August 14, 2012

Got it. I updated JIRA without the DB change (will do this later) and now I have the UPM. Also got Greenhopper installed, though do not know how it works yet.

Thanks for the advice!

Suggest an answer