Can´t drag and drop parent issues on scrum board

Benedikt Schwaiger August 10, 2017

Hi, 
I can´t drag and drop parent issues to any column on scrum board. If the task doesn´t have any subtask, it is ok, moving subtask also works properly, however parent issue is fixed there across all three columns.

I do not have any transition conditions concerning relations between parent task and subtak so this could be blocked. Permission to schedule the task in board has every logged user. 

Do you have any idea, what this could causes?
Please, see also attached picture. 

Thank you for any help, 

VaclavProgrammers Board   Agile Board   JIRA.png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Umer Saeed August 10, 2017

This is standard behaviour - once you create subtasks, the parent task becomes its own swimlane and cannot be dragged or moved. By Agile rules, the sub-tasks are the work that needs to be done. So once all sub-tasks are in the Done column, a button will appear on the parent ticket called 'Move to Done'.

You cannot change this.

You can turn swimlanes off completely so it doesnt do this, but the parent tickets still wont be able to be dragged, you just wont have the swimlanes:

https://screencast.com/t/Ald7KSX5hw

Benedikt Schwaiger August 10, 2017

Hi Umer, 
as you written: "You can turn swimlanes off completely so it doesnt do this, but the parent tickets still wont be able to be dragged, you just wont have the swimlanes:"

Once I have deativated swimlanes I do can move parent issue independently from subtasks. And so it solved my problem. Thank you! 

Just briefly to Nic's question: I couldn't even pick that parent card...

Thank you for your effort and have a nice day!

Ben / Vaclav

Umer Saeed August 10, 2017

No problem, glad you got it to how you like. :)

Nick Thorpe March 12, 2019

Ive been searching for the answer for this for ages! Its actually quite a simple fix.. I had swimlanes turned on on my Scrum board .. I didn't actually need them.. so turned them off and all is good now.

Laura Richardson February 3, 2021

Hi there, I turned off the swimlanes on my board and I can't click on the parent cards, just the subtasks. Maybe something has changed? 

Or maybe there's a difference between a Kanban board and a Sprint board in this regard? I'm using Kanban boards. 

Nevermind, someone showed me how it looks different with the subtasks in one column and the story in another. I was able to move the story in that case, I just thought the gray area around the subtasks was the story. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2017

Could you describe the symptoms?  If you pick up a card and try to move it, what happens?  Do the target columns light up and the card wanders back to its origin when you drop it, or do the columns not light up at all?

Suggest an answer