Can't do background reindex and Locking JIRA and rebuilding index takes way too long

Shirley He April 17, 2018

I tried to do a background reindex of Jira since I still needed to do stuff in Jira while it was going on. Unfortunately it was affecting some functionalities I needed to use so I cancelled the reindex while it was at 58%. I read that it was supposedly safe to cancel, but I ended up with an error saying "JIRA is unable to perform a background re-index at this time because the index files are either missing or corrupted."

I then tried to lock JIRA and rebuild the index, but after 12 hours, it was only at 3%. I thought locking JIRA and rebuilding was supposed to be faster than background reindexing. Do you guys have any advice on how to make background re-indexing an option again, or how to speed up re-indexing in general?

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2018

Hello, 

you can try to stop Jira, maka a backup of this directory and all its sub-directories:

$JIRA_HOME/caches/indexes

and then remove that directory and all its sub-directories:

$JIRA_HOME/caches/indexes

Then start Jira and do a full reindex.

Let me know if it works, 

--Alexis

Hi Alexis,

I had thought of doing that but was concerned that even after doing it, rebuilding the index would take forever.

Good news though! It turns out that it may have been a plugin that was interfering with the re-indexing process. I turned on safe mode and I'm happy to say that the full re-index is running smoothly and looks like it'll be done within 30 minutes!

Like dev srvcs likes this
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2018

Good news then !  Make sure to mark this topic as "resolved" then :)

Like Avinash Ramdin likes this

I don't see a button to do that... do you just add "solved" to the title?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2018

The tick mark next to each answer.

0 votes
Jira Admin February 21, 2021

I did a lock and reindex in safe mode it worked.

Suggest an answer