Can't bulk edit tickets to change assignee (at least one issue has a status that forbids editing)

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2013

I'm trying to delete a few users from the system but can't since they are the assignee or reporter of various tickets. I tried bulk editing them, but I'm getting the option as "n/a" with note "You do not have permission to edit the selected 105 issues or at least one issue has a status that forbids editing."

It would be painful to manually update 100's of tickets. What can I do?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Adam Saint-Prix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2013

If you are using the JIRA default workflow, this is expected behavior. The defaults don't allow you to edit closed issues because of an explicit condition that restricts editing of closed issues.

You can work around this though. There are some examples of how to use workflow properties on a specific step so that you can edit the issue as an admin, even though it's closed. Jobin describes how to do so pretty well here:

http://www.j-tricks.com/1/post/2011/02/permissions-based-on-workflow-status.html

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2013

thanks, i went ahead and bulk re-opened them all, did my reporter/assignee changes as needed, then bulk closed them again. kind of worky, but well, it worked. ;)

Adam Saint-Prix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2013

Oh well. Brute force works as well. By the way, I found my more descriptive post from a while back on how to do this. You might consider adding this in to your workflow next time you have to bulk edit closed issues:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/49747/what-is-your-most-valuable-jira-trick/50612

Like # people like this
0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2013

Hi Doug,

I suggest you to bulk edit only a few of the 105 (for instance, try bulk-editing 20 per time) until you discover what issue can't be modified.

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2013

thanks, do you think it's a particular issue, or issue type or status?

LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2013

Hi Doug,

Hard to say that. Since you're moving issues from an user to another, I'm assuming you have issues across many projects. This may be the root cause, since the project roles (for this case, permission scheme and issue security scheme) may vary from a project to another.

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2013

digging now, it appears Closed tickets can't be edited. is that expected?

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2013

Thanks Lucas. It seems now that I simply can't change reporter or assignee for closed issues... neither in bulk nor in standard Jira ticket view. This seems odd. Is it something odd we've managed to configure Jira as or is it the default? Either way, that seems to be my issue.

Suggest an answer