Can't associate screen with issue type create

Prateek Kumar March 24, 2013

Hi

I did the following.

1. created 4 issue types for a new project A,B,C,D

2. Created a screen scheme with a screen for creating issues of one of the above 4 issue types (A).

3. Associated the above screen scheme with that issue type (A) using new issue type screen scheme.

4. Associated issue type screen scheme with my project.

I still can't see my custom fields when I try to create a new issue (A)

Please help.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Onkar Ahire
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2013

Hi Prateek,

Please check Applicable contexts for scheme in the configuration of that custom field which does'nt seems on

Go >> Administration >> Custom Field >> Select the Custom field settings >> Configure >> There is "Applicable contexts for scheme " >> Edit Configuration >> Select the project and the issue type for that custom field should appear.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2013

You need to get three things correct to get custom fields to appear. If any one of them is wrong, the field will not appear.

Field context (Onkar's answer)

Screen (Joe's answer)

Field configuration (Look at the field configuration scheme for the project and check that fields are not hidden)

Great - I was missing what Onkar suggested. My question is there are many custom fields I already added to a screen and already made associations with issue type and project through issue-type-screen-scheme - then what is the rationale behind doing the rework of associating fields individually with with issue types and projects?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2013

You can have a screen for <some purpose> that can be shared across several projects or workflows that behaves differently for a project or issue type. Think of a simple example - is a field called "risk mitigation" really of any use outside risk issue-types? (Yes, there's an argument to spend that time doing it with screens only, but that leads you into having 3 or more screens per project and issue type. This approach gives users a lot more flexibility and, from what I've read, allows for faster indexing and retrieval, but I'm not sure where I saw that!)

Hmm. I could see creating copies of screen for different issue types and doing away with risk mitigation field in some - but thats me.

Now I think I'll be better off creating one big screen with all fields in it instead of different screnes for issue types. atleast that will save me the work creating new screens (if not of - associating each field with issue type & project)

But I want to say that I see 2 design intentions that somehow got mixed up - on one hand you offer issue-type-screen-scheme after configuring which its kind of couterintuitive to get down to field level. On the other hand you offer the felxibility to create one screen to be shared among issue types.

Ayways, I am gonna do some serious field work now:)

Thanks

1 vote
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 24, 2013

Hi Prateek,

You should also check the screen that you have configured to appear when creating issue type A. To check this, you will have to head to your Administration -> Screens, then at the screen you are using, click on the 'Configure' button at the right side of the page.

Cheers,

Joe

Suggest an answer