Can't assign issue to its reporter

Andrew Macrae April 9, 2014

I'm attempting to resolve an issue and assign it back to the issue reporter. However he does not appear in the drop-down list, nor when I start typing in his name. Surely if there is one user to whom I shouldn't have to jump through hoops or search the documentation (without results) or go through special configuration steps, it is the user who created the issue in the first place!

What gives????

1 answer

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2014

You have not set up the permission scheme to allow this.

Go into the permission scheme, edit it, and look for the permission "Assignable User". The user you want to assign the issue to must match the rules in there. In this case, there's a nice easy rule to add - "assignable user" can include "reporter" - add that and go back to the issue.

Andrew Macrae April 12, 2014

that just seems bizarre - how can a user have permission to create an issue but not have permission to have the issue he created assigned back to him?

The larger issue I have with all the bug tracking systems I've tried is that they expect users to be computer scientists to use them. It's very hard for me to train my clients to use a bug tracking system when they need a six week course to learn how to use it. Ok that's hyperbole, but still.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2014

Why the implicit assumption that they should be able to have things assigned to them? There's plenty of places where the reporter should NEVER be the assignee. Jira retains the flexibility to allow it, deny it, or allow it in specific circumstances.

I've not found Jira that hard to use - my "user" training courses are little more than "it looks a little fussy at first, but don't be afraid to play with it". As a starter - getting reporting and tracking out needs more work.

However, that does depend on administrators and business people not letting it get complex by inflicting all sorts of silly rules on the users

Suggest an answer