Can't add user to group

Max Pavlov June 16, 2014

Hi.

In Jira, when I am trying to add an AD-retrieved user to a group I get the error below.

I am not sure if this is connected with the fact that I've recently have installed Crowd, tried to configure it, it didn't work with the common AD settings and I just abondoned an attempt.

Now when the requiredment to add a new user from AD came in, I noticed that I can no longer assign groups to a user.

Please assist. Thanks.

com.atlassian.crowd.exception.runtime.GroupNotFoundException: Group <jira-users> does not exist

at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.core.CrowdServiceImpl.addUserToGroup(CrowdServiceImpl.java:716)

at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.core.DelegatingCrowdService.addUserToGroup(DelegatingCrowdService.java:165)

at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.core.FilteredCrowdServiceImpl.addUserToGroup(FilteredCrowdServiceImpl.java:315)

at com.atlassian.jira.user.util.UserUtilImpl.doAddUserToGroup(UserUtilImpl.java:612)

at com.atlassian.jira.user.util.UserUtilImpl.addUserToGroup(UserUtilImpl.java:602)

at com.atlassian.jira.bc.group.DefaultGroupService.addUsersToGroups(DefaultGroupService.java:428)

at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.admin.user.EditUserGroups.doExecute(EditUserGroups.java:88)

at webwork.action.ActionSupport.execute(ActionSupport.java:165)

...and there goes a bunch of thread-related stuff.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Max Pavlov June 16, 2014

Hi. Thanks for a prompt response.

I've just figured it out.

I've set Read and Write permissions in AD integration settings. This has required me to have the same list of groups in AD as I have in jira. Or better to say manage groups in AD.

When I switched back to Read Only with Local Groups - everything started to work as expected.

sandeepsai July 1, 2019

where i can find AD integration, it it on JIRA Application ?

1 vote
Danilo Conrad
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2014

Hi Max,

The com.atlassian.crowd.exception.runtime.GroupNotFoundException exception indicates that the group you tried to add the user to does not exist. Looking further into the error message, the message is indicating the that group '&lt;jira-users&gt;' does not exist, which would be <jira-users>.

Could you please double-check whether this group exist or provide us with the detailed steps you are following to add the users to the group?

Cheers,

Danilo

Suggest an answer