Can't access JIRA standalone localhost:8080

Alex Wade July 26, 2017

I recently installed the JIRA standalone product for my mac, and have been trying to access the ui through localhost:8080 to no avail. it just cant access it no matter what i try. thanks for any help

this is the output:

[jira symbol here]     

Detecting JVM PermGen support...

PermGen switch is supported. Setting to 384m

If you encounter issues starting or stopping JIRA, please see the Troubleshooting guide at http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Installation+Troubleshooting+Guide

Server startup logs are located in /opt/atlassian-jira-6.4.14-standalone/logs/catalina.out

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/atlassian-jira-6.4.14-standalone

Using CATALINA_HOME:   /opt/atlassian-jira-6.4.14-standalone

Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/atlassian-jira-6.4.14-standalone/temp

Using JRE_HOME:        /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_141.jdk/Contents/Home

Using CLASSPATH:       /opt/atlassian-jira-6.4.14-standalone/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/atlassian-jira-6.4.14-standalone/bin/tomcat-juli.jar

Using CATALINA_PID:    /opt/atlassian-jira-6.4.14-standalone/work/catalina.pid

Tomcat started.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2017

What do you get when you visit localhost:8080, and what do the JIRA logs say is going wrong?  (Look in jira-home/logs)

Alex Wade July 26, 2017

i get a local host page cannot be found. as for jira logs, there are none. these are the logs that are present:

access_log.2017-07-26

catalina.out

localhost.2017-07-26.log

catalina.2017-07-26.log

host-manager.2017-07-26.log

manager.2017-07-26.log

Like 티벨관리자 likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2017

If there are no application logs in <jira home>/logs, then the application is not even starting within Tomcat.

Read the catalina.out to find out why.

Alex Wade July 26, 2017

ah i think i didnt set a home. but i just set jira.home = /opt/jira-home (new empty folder) in jira-config.properties and it still registers that i have no jira.home. am i doing this right?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2017

The jira-config.properties file has to live in, um, jira-home (and hence it can't define the jira home)

Try <jira-install>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jira-application.properties

Like Liu Daxin likes this
Alex Wade July 26, 2017

Success!!! thank you !!

Steve H April 24, 2020

For me, I had jira home set, but not JRE_HOME env. variable.  Once i set that, my instance started right up.

Suggest an answer