Can't access JIRA outside of UK

Jason Caster January 28, 2013

We've got JIRA setup on a VPS, which works fine for the office and even home connections. However, one of our staff members couldn't access JIRA from America. They can connect to the server just fine but it seems to be just JIRA that won't load; they get the default Plesk index page.

I've added port 8080 to the server's ip tables for good measure and even specified their public IP address for good measure.

Are there any other configurations that would block IP address ranges?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2013

Not inside Jira - it doesn't do ip-blocking, let alone the geo-ip location for identifying where people actually are (well, not "are", but "might be" given that there's blocks of German IPs in the UK, and several UK ISPs sometimes relay through Denmakr).

You need to raise this with your network (or possibly server) support teams I'm afraid, it's nothing to do with the application.

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the absurdly quick answer, much appreciated. I just got word back that it worked from a different ISP so maybe it was the firewall or crappy provider. Fancy blocking port 8080!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2013

No problem. Blocking 8080 is weird, but fixable - you could fire up a proxy on the server that accepts incoming connections on a different port and pushes them to 8080 locally. Or just tell the provider/firewall that they'd doing something wrong and you need it fixed :-)

Excellent idea, thanks.

Suggest an answer