Can't Get JIRA REST API to work

Ben Niemietz July 11, 2013

I've tried the example for basic auth using this (I don't really care about providing my password, my frustration with just getting a simple api to work is enough to scrap this all)

curl -D- -u bniemietz@enfocussolutions.com:benpassword -X GET -H "Content-Type: application/json" https://enfocus.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/issue/TP-1

I've tried all of the examples in the documentation and nothing but 401's and 301's. I'm using ruby on rails if that helps anyone, but this is command line

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ben Niemietz July 12, 2013

Credentials are correct and I do have access....it is assigned to me. Those are my actual credentials if you want to play around with it. There isn't a setting or anything to allow it? Or they don't block the api to trial users do they?

2 votes
Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2013

The problem is that the username for the account is just 'bniemietz' (not the full email address).

JIRA is quite permissive in what it allows usernames to be. It's possible to create usernames that are full email addresses but this hasn't been done in your case. It's easy to get confused because Atlassian ID usernames (used to log in to various Atlassian-run services) are your email address.

We're currently working on a system that further unifies the logins between OnDemand and other Atlassian-run services (my.atlassian.com, support.atlassian.com, etc.) to try and reduce this potential for confusion.

1 vote
Marlon Aguiar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2013

Hi Ben, the syntax seems to be correct, are you able to open that issue via the UI using the bniemietz@enfocussolutions.com username and password? A 401 error could indicate a problem with authentication, make sure you're using the correct credentials.

Hope it helps!

Regards,
Marlon

Suggest an answer