It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can't Delete Issues - I am owner / admin and have permissions

We're using the free version of Jira for our project. With free Jira you're unable to edit any permissions beyond their default setting. Still, the default permission says that Administrators are the only roles that can delete issues. I am Administrator and own the board. I am able to delete the project, yet there is no delete option I can find anywhere for deleting issues.

We need to delete an issue because it is a duplicate. This is not a case of having it there as a good practice just in case -- the creation of the issue was human error, and we understand it will be gone forever.

1 answer

1 vote
Stephen Wright Community Leader Nov 01, 2019

Hi @Peter Keim

I've found on the free version that whilst the "Default Permission Scheme" is visible, it's not applied to projects - a custom permission scheme is used instead which provides delete access to all logged in users.

The reason the default scheme isn't being used is you cannot manage project roles - as the Administrator mentioned in the default scheme is the project role "Administrator", as opposed to "Site Admin".

See if delete is in one of these two locations:

• If using the new Jira issue view, select options (the 3-dot button) in the upper-right and choose delete. Should be 5-6 options from the top.
  • If using the classic issue view, use the same options button and Delete is at the bottom of the drop-down list. I've found this list isn't scrollable so if your screen doesn't hold the whole list, you can "zoom out" on the browser and see the option down the bottom

If neither of these resolve the issue, double-check you're not on paid Jira - where the project roles would be an extra few steps.

Ste

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

308 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you