Can't Delete Issue

Bob Jackman August 14, 2015

I have a new JIRA installation that I'm in the process of configuring. Most things are default, but I've customized the workflows and screens for my project. However, I'm noticing that, as both a system admin and the project admin, I can't delete an issue. The option just isn't there. (note: I didn't check for this until after I customized the workflows/screens, but I don't really think that affected this).

I've checked my project permissions, my system permissions, my group permissions, and checked the "issue operations" add-on. Everything seems to be in order. The "permission helper" even says that I have permission to delete issues. But the button/action simply doesn't show up.

What else can I check?

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Luciano Fagundes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 14, 2015

Could you please confirm if you are clicking on MORE > Delete issue?

Screen Shot 2015-08-14 at 4.19.27 PM.png

1 vote

Ahhh!!!! I was looking for this in the "admin" dropdown! That explains it! Did this option move recently???

Thank you!

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2015

No, the Admin functions have always been the Permission/Notification helpers, as well as the Add a Field option. The Delete operation has always been under the "More" operation menu.

Like Zach_Sergio likes this

Thank you :)

0 votes
John Busciglio May 25, 2018

why was the discussion on this topic closed?

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Cant-delete-issue/qaq-p/272380?utm_campaign=kudos_answer&utm_content=post&utm_medium=email&utm_source=atlcomm#M244357

It has been a topic for nearly 7 years.  I get that the answer has been "solved", but clearly there is a tone of people adopting this software with the same questions.  It is not an easy issue to understand for even very skilled users.  At the very least it's hard to find the direct answers as there is no clear documentation describing why the decision was made to force this default on an administrator out of the box. 

The discussions provide some bit of clarity and for those people searching, having more comments on the topic and and OPEN SOURCE discussion absolutely help.  

So why was it closed?  I get the feeling that it was closed to stifle the discussion because the supporters of the current system are not open to debate and discourse on a fundamental topic that speaks to the design philosophy of the software!!!

This is very disconcerting to me as someone who is trying to make a decision on which software to add to the suite of large enterprise infrastructure! 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2018

Best guess is that someone who can close it got tired of the same old arguments being repeated (I'm very guilty of repetetiveness in the face of people who ignore everything I'm saying, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was because of that)

I've un-closed it.  But I wouldn't waste your time with any more essays, it's not going to change anything.

0 votes
main contact March 8, 2018

I cant delete too, very annyoing. Im admin

Kojo Amponsah Efah September 9, 2018

Same here. I wonder why

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2018

Please read what Joe and Steven said above.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2015

Deleting issues will come back to bite you. The forum is full of questions about restoring an issue that was incorrectly deleted or people changed their mind. Also, since JIRA won't reuse the number you will eventually encounter the 'what happened to issue...' and when you say deleted they will ask why. I strongly suggest you create a resolution of Deleted to use to close issues to that you would want to delete.

0 votes
Steve Wages August 14, 2015

Hi,

This is day two of my new job and my first time I've use Jira. If i don't have a "delete" option under "More" does that mean I am not a system admin or the project admin? In other words, what do we have to configure to allow me to delete issues?

Thanks,
Steve 

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2015

The More menu represents the additional "Operations" that you have permission to access. That's why in my screenshot Assign shows up, then Log Work, so on and so forth. I have permissions for the Assign Issue Operation and I have permissions to perform the Log Work Operation on the issue. If you do NOT see the Delete option, or ANY Operation for that matter, then you do not have permission to perform that operation within that project.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2015

To answer more completely requires more explanation. Each JIRA Project can be assigned a Permission Scheme. The Permission Scheme assigns Operation Permissions to User Roles. User Roles are customizable, but start as Project Administrator, Project Developer, or Project User. Usually, only Project Administrators have Delete Permissions. An Administrator could use the Admin Operation "Permission Helper" on that specific issue, and that should call out the specific reason that access to that operation is limited.

Like Frans Leijdekkers likes this

Suggest an answer