Can't Ctrl-C (copy) and Ctrl-V (paste) an image into a comment

Cal Collingham September 14, 2014

We have users that want to grab comments from an email or a document that contains words and images, select all copy the selected text and image and then paste it into the comments text area or maybe even the description text area.  I thought the "Attach Image" plugin that is preinstalled in JIRA 6.2.4 or higher (we have JIRA v6.3.4) with it's description of "Plugin allows to paste images from Clipboard..." would work, but it does not allow for a cut & paste of an image into a comments field.  I've tried in Firefox, Chrome and IE.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Cal.

7 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Answer accepted
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2014

Hi Cal, it can't be done with JIRA out of the box, but it's possible with JEditor, which is an add-on that can extend the standard functionalities.

I hope it helps.

Cheers

Cal Collingham September 15, 2014

Great, thanks for the quick turnaround on your feedback.  Even though it wasn't the answer I was hoping for, at least you confirmed it for me one way or the other.  Also thanks for the suggestion as well.  We'll look into it.

Take care.

Cal.

Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2014

Thank for the feedback, we're looking into improve the standard text editor, but it's not something that will be ready in the next releases, possibly in JIRA 7.0. If you think that this question was answered satisfactorily, you may mark it as answered, this will increase its visibility and may help others in the future. Cheers

Stan Singh June 20, 2016

@Tiago Comasseto

this functionality was available before, but  I noticed starting last week that I am no longer able to right click and paste images directly into the comment field.  This used to save me tons of time, but now I have to save the image and upload it as an attachment into the comment field which requires more steps and slows me down. 

Was there an update made that closed off this functionality? Is there any way to restore it back?  Please let me know.  

Thanks,

Stan

Dave Van Weert June 20, 2016

Experiencing the same issue as Stan; using the JIRA Cloud service.. 

Last week i was able to Copy and paste images into the comments field; or directly into the attachments section in Chrome; now this week seems i am unable to do so.

• No issues copy and pasting text;
  • No issues copying and pasting images to/from the clipboard into other apps eg: Word.
  • Just seems to be an issue within JIRA that the pasting of images no longer functions.

Please fix/bring this functionality back; its save so much time and space pasting directly into JIRA as opposed to saving the file, then uploading..etc.

Eric Linder October 17, 2017

I have same issue, I cannot copy and paste images whereas my colleague can.

This is the SINGLE BIGGEST PROBLEM WE HAVE WITH JIRA.  Please fix asap

Stan Singh October 17, 2017

this issue was resolved a week or so after I initially posted in Jun 20,2016 for me, but now with the new jira look, i am experiencing a similar issue.

When creating a new ticket, it allows me to copy and paste the image in the description field, but when i go into the ticket, i get the message unable to render in the description section. 

i then have to delete the comment and then re-add it. I use the "create another" feature a lot and then had to re-do it for 20 new tickets that I created.   Took tons of time to redo it.  

Please fix.  

Yamil Currao October 18, 2017

Yes, please solve this issue as soon as possible,

Thanks

Emin Smajic January 23, 2018

Any updates?

CL Neo May 13, 2018

In Trello, it can be done easily. Why is it taking so long?

Eric Linder January 30, 2019

Everybody is still waiting on this Tiago, is it even in development.  I'm about to short Atlassian stock if you can't fix something so easy

5 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2019

Hi all,

Thanks for your interest in this use-case! I've opened a feature request on jira.atlassian.com for you watch and vote on: JRACLOUD-71695

For more information about how Atlassian prioritizes feature requests made on jira.atlassian.com, check out this Community post.

I'm also locking this particular thread for comments as it is dated and we want to make sure your comments and feedback get the attention they deserve. Please create a new question on Community if you need help with a particular aspect of Jira's current behavior. And if JRACLOUD-71695 completely captures what you're looking for, please watch it to keep up with any changes planned in Jira.

Thanks!

Daniel | Atlassian Support

1 vote
Nathan_Bartell September 7, 2018

Are there any updates to this?  I'm trying to paste an image from my clipboard into a comment and I get pop-up with an exclamation mark that says "Error  This issue no longer exists"

I can do this very easily in other online applications (Gmail for example).  

Visual Studio Team Services also does this without issue and is the other solution we are considering.  VSTS also has a free tier...

0 votes
Eric Linder February 27, 2019

I'm am assuming that since somebody accepted an answer on this that Jira is no longer following.  I will start a new thread - look for it

Henri van der Merwe March 6, 2019

this is crazy....such a simple but critical thing

Like bcostello likes this
0 votes
vboulaye February 26, 2019

Hi, 

I just found this in the JIRA doc:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=296095988

Apparently copy/paste attachments does not work on linux by default and you have to set a property jira.screenshotapplet.linux.enabled=true in jira-config.properties to enable it.

I have not tested it as I do not have access to my jira instance server.

0 votes
Lou Lewis January 30, 2019

Any news on a fix for this?!

0 votes
CL Neo May 13, 2018

In Trello, it can be done easily. Why is it taking so long?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question