Can't Convert Issue to Subtask - one issue type

I have an issue type called Bug and it is used in all of our JIRA projects.

• I have one project, that I cannot convert the Bug to a SubTask.
  • The menu option is not there.
  • It is there when I look at different issue types for the same project. It is there when I look at Bug issue types in a different project.
  • I am in the Administrators and Users group and these allow for every Issue permission that I could think of.

I must be missing something and hoping someone can help.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer
Richie Gee Atlassian Team Jan 17, 2013

Note that you will not be able to convert an issue to a sub-task if the issue has sub-tasks of its own. You will first need to convert the issue's sub-tasks to standalone issues (see below); you can then convert them to sub-tasks of another issue if you wish. Sub-tasks cannot be moved directly from one issue to another — you will need to convert them to standard issues, then to sub-tasks of their new parent issue.

This is quoted from the documentation of converting sub task, refer below for the documentation.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+a+Sub-Task#CreatingaSub-Task-converting

Hope this helps, cheers!

dang, I'm embarrased. I thought I checked the subtasks and you are correct. There was a subtask on the issue. Thanks for the quick response Richie.

Richie Gee Atlassian Team Jan 17, 2013

No problem, glad to assist :)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,932 views 19 22
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you