Can't Bulk Edit items - insists on changing Resolution

Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2013

My workflow has In Progress, Review, Done, QA, Closed states. The transition (In Progress to Review) gets shows SetResolution screen but (Review to Done) also uses the same screen in case they need to change the resolution. Problem is when the project admin wants to Bulk Edit a pile of items moving them (Review to Done), the Transition Issues screen insists on updating the resolution even if the issue already has a Resolution. If we leave it alone (shows "Please select." as the Resolution) then we get the error: "The selected resolution is invalid."

This forces us to change all items in the Bulk Edit to all have the same value for Resolution when they all might have different values which we want to leave alone.

I have the jira.field.resolution.exclude property set to hide one transitions they should not choose but removing that property doesn't seem to make a difference.

I want to bulk edit the items in Review, moving all items to Done but make no changes to Resolution.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2013

Problem never solved. Workaround was to remove the Screen from the Review to Done transition so now I can do Bulk Edit and it doesn't ask to change the Resolution.

Looks like a bug to me.

1 vote
Ronald Vallenduuk November 4, 2014

This one has been bugging me for a long time. The Resolution field seems to have a special status. The problem is not that the field is mandatory for a certain transition. The problem is that the 'Keep value' option is missing and you're forced to update values.

Mandatory should mean 'it must have a value', not 'you must put in a value now'.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2013

Bulk edit shouldn't show resolution if it is not there on 'Edit' screen. Transition screen won't come on bulk edit. Make sure the field is not there on 'Edit' screen and you will be fine.

0 votes
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2013

I've usually not used a post function to change the Resolution field but included the Resolution field in a Screen that is used in the transition. In doing this, it shows Resolution as being a required field (shows the asterisk on the Screen).

I've been able to workaround the problem by making a second Transition that is hidden to all but Project Administrator and this second transition doesn't call a Screen. It works but now I have two transitions that do roughly the same thing. I'd rather it not require I change the Resolution when the Screen is used and I do a Bulk Edit.

0 votes
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2013

Hi Mike,

Usually the Transition to Done, in a workflow, has a Post Function to set the Resolution field. That may be requiring the field to be set if moved to Done. You might need to bulk edit in different groups that match the resolution.

Have a look at this before removing the post function: Configuring Workflow - Setting the Resolution field

Cheers!

Suggest an answer