Can someone help me with POST request to JIRA using the Python

Raghukrishna Hegde August 1, 2017

Hi All,

I was going through the article "Writing a REST Client in python". I wanted to modify it to create issues in JIRA. I have already tested the POST API of JIRA  using the curl command line and it works fine.

curl -D- -u <username>:<passwd> -X POST --data @data.txt -H "Content-Type: application/json" https://<jira-url>

So i modified the python code mentioned in the article  "Writing a REST Client in python". I am using python2.7. The GET API works fine as mentioned in the article. Also i am using the  python-rest-client package.

The code changes for the POST is as follows:

jiraF=open("/root/data.txt","r")
jira_input=json.loads(jiraF.read())
jira_input_raw=json.dumps(jira_input)

resp = conn.request_post("/issue/", body=jira_input_raw, headers={'content-type':'application/json', 'accept':'application/json'})

When i execute the command

python2.7 jira-create.py

I get the following error message from JIRA site

The status message is 400
The JSON response output is {"errorMessages":[],"errors":{"summary":"Field 'summary' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.","components":"Field 'components' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.","versions":"Field 'versions' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.","customfield_18130":"Field 'customfield_18130' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.","customfield_13232":"Field 'customfield_13232' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.","description":"Field 'description' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.","reporter":"Field 'reporter' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.","customfield_19030":"Field 'customfield_19030' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown."}}

Has anyone implemented creating issue in JIRA using  python-rest-client package which is mentioned in this article. Or else can anyone tell me what could be the problem here. 

4 answers

0 votes
Nicolás Guzmán July 7, 2020

Just an update: The last code @Raghukrishna Hegde shared works fine but if you're using Python 3, you must change in the post request the attribute "data" for "JSON" as shown below: 

r = requests.post(url, json=data, headers=header, auth=HTTPBasicAuth(user, passw))
Ritu Sharma July 28, 2020

Thanks @Nicolás Guzmán. I think it works.

0 votes
queen merlin February 10, 2019

This documents the jira python package (version 2.0.1.dev44), a Python library designed to ease the use of the JIRA REST API. Some basic support for the GreenHopper REST API also exis

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2017

The response you are getting tells you what the problem is - you are giving it a load of field data for fields that are not there in your system

You should check what fields you do get by using the UI to create a similar issue.

Raghukrishna Hegde August 2, 2017

Thanks for your response Nic. But i am able to do the create operation successfully with the exact same data using curl command. If there was some field i should not have given, then i would have got that error when executing the POST opeartion through the curl command as well.

curl -D- -u <username>:<passwd> -X POST --data @data.txt -H "Content-Type: application/json" https://<jira-url>

This works. The data.txt is the same file i use to read in python. The code snippet is 

import json
# import the REST library
from restful_lib import Connection

base_url = "https://<the_jira-url>"

conn = Connection(base_url, username="use_name", password="passwd")

jira_load=jiraF.read()
print 'The json data just after read' jira_load

print 'The json input is', jira_input

print 'The json dump of jira is', jira_input_raw

resp = conn.request_post("/issue/", body=jira_input_raw, headers={'content-type':'application/json', 'accept':'application/json'})

status = resp[u'headers']['status']
print 'The status message is', status
print 'The JSON response output is', resp[u'body']

The output of this is follwoing:

root@radiusServer:~/auto-jira# python2.7 jira-create.py
The json data just after read {
"fields": {
"project":
{
"key": "NSLCM"
},
"summary": "svcacc_krish second issue creation",
"description": "This is the second issue created using the JIRA REST API for account krish",
"issuetype": {
"name": "Bug"
},
"components": [
{
"name": "NS-OTHER"
}
],
"customfield_13232": {
"value": "Internal - Automation"
},
"customfield_18130": {
"value": "S4"
},
"reporter": {
"name": "raghukrish1"
},
"customfield_19030": {
"value": "No - Existed Previously"
},
"versions": [
{
"name": "10.1"
}
]
}
}

The json input is {u'fields': {u'description': u'This is the second issue created using the JIRA REST API for account krish', u'reporter': {u'name': u'raghukrish1'}, u'versions': [{u'name': u'10.1'}], u'summary': u'svcacc_krish second issue creation', u'project': {u'key': u'NSLCM'}, u'customfield_13232': {u'value': u'Internal - Automation'}, u'customfield_19030': {u'value': u'No - Existed Previously'}, u'components': [{u'name': u'NS-OTHER'}], u'issuetype': {u'name': u'Bug'}, u'customfield_18130': {u'value': u'S4'}}}

The json dump of jira is {"fields": {"description": "This is the second issue created using the JIRA REST API for account krish", "reporter": {"name": "raghukrish1"}, "versions": [{"name": "10.1"}], "summary": "svcacc_krish second issue creation", "project": {"key": "NSLCM"}, "customfield_13232": {"value": "Internal - Automation"}, "customfield_19030": {"value": "No - Existed Previously"}, "components": [{"name": "NS-OTHER"}], "issuetype": {"name": "Bug"}, "customfield_18130": {"value": "S4"}}}

The JSON response output is {"errorMessages":[],"errors":{"summary":"Field 'summary' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.","components":"Field 'components' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.","versions":"Field 'versions' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.","customfield_18130":"Field 'customfield_18130' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.","customfield_13232":"Field 'customfield_13232' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.","description":"Field 'description' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.","reporter":"Field 'reporter' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.","customfield_19030":"Field 'customfield_19030' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown."}}

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2017

Ok, that means that your python can't be logging in correctly, as it's not able to "see" the create screen for that project.

I've not used Python to do this sort of stuff, so I'm stuck.  The code looks ok to me, but obviously the connection thing isn't being set correctly.

Thanks Nic. Let me check from that point as well

Raghukrishna Hegde August 3, 2017

Hi Nic and Josh,

I finally managed to create the JIRA issues using the python script. I got rid of the python-rest-client package, and programmed using the response library. It turned out to be much simpler. I will post the code here for comunitie's benefit.

import json
import requests
from requests.auth import HTTPBasicAuth

url = "https://<jira-url>/rest/api/2/issue"
header = {'Content-Type': 'application/json'}
#set the user name and password values
user = <username>

# block for setting the JIRA password
password = <passwd>

#setting the file from which to read the JSON which will be passed into the JIRA API
jira_load=jiraF.read()
#make the authenticated request to the JIRA API
r = requests.post(url, data=jira_load, headers=header, auth=HTTPBasicAuth(user, password))
print ("HERE's the JSON RESPONSE\n\n ", r.status_code, r.headers)
print ("The response content is\n\n", r.content)

To highlight my problem, there were two issues. One is not using the HTTPBasicAuth method while usernae and passwd to the response.post method, and the other is some typo mistake in the header = {'Content-Type': 'application/json'}. Instead of 'Content-Type', i initially typed 'Content Type'(no hyphen in between). This used to give me 415 http error code.

I think the original issue with using rest-client package was, as you earlier mentioned might be because of authentication problem. So to try it out i gave some wrong username and passwd in the GET request as well, and still i was able to get the proper response. It could be that i was not checking the authentication for GET requests.

Like Daniel Duncan likes this
0 votes
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2017

This may be a permissions error. Does the account you're using have create privileges on the project?

Yes i do have create previlages. I tested this out using the curl command and i am able to create the issues in JIRA. I used the following command

This works fine. But as i mentioned above when i try using python, i get the error mentioned above. As i mentioned above, i used the article 

https://developer.atlassian.com/fecrudev/integration-tutorials/writing-a-rest-client-in-python

as my reference. In this article only GET operations are discussed. I slightly modified the same for POST operations i am getting that error. I am not sure if i am doing something wrong here. Can you please help?

josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2017

Are you sure you're using the same credentials in curl and python? In your code above I don't see the username/password.

It's the "summary cannot be set" that is making me think this. Summary pretty much has to be on the Create screen.

Hi Josh,

Username/password is fine. The same username/password works in python for the get operation. Also the same username/password works fine when using POST operation through curl command. Only when i am using POST operation through the python i am getting that error. I am not sure am i making some mistake in sending the data through the 

Let me put the whole code for your reference:

import json
# import the REST library
from restful_lib import Connection

base_url = "https://<the_jira-url>"

conn = Connection(base_url, username="use_name", password="passwd")

jira_load=jiraF.read()
print 'The json data just after read' jira_load

print 'The json input is', jira_input

print 'The json dump of jira is', jira_input_raw

status = resp[u'headers']['status']
print 'The status message is', status
print 'The JSON response output is', resp[u'body']

======================================

The output of this is follwoing:

root@radiusServer:~/auto-jira# python2.7 jira-create.py
The json data just after read {
"fields": {
"project":
{
"key": "NSLCM"
},
"summary": "svcacc_krish second issue creation",
"description": "This is the second issue created using the JIRA REST API for account krish",
"issuetype": {
"name": "Bug"
},
"components": [
{
"name": "NS-OTHER"
}
],
"customfield_13232": {
"value": "Internal - Automation"
},
"customfield_18130": {
"value": "S4"
},
"reporter": {
"name": "raghukrish1"
},
"customfield_19030": {
"value": "No - Existed Previously"
},
"versions": [
{
"name": "10.1"
}
]
}
}

The json input is {u'fields': {u'description': u'This is the second issue created using the JIRA REST API for account krish', u'reporter': {u'name': u'raghukrish1'}, u'versions': [{u'name': u'10.1'}], u'summary': u'svcacc_krish second issue creation', u'project': {u'key': u'NSLCM'}, u'customfield_13232': {u'value': u'Internal - Automation'}, u'customfield_19030': {u'value': u'No - Existed Previously'}, u'components': [{u'name': u'NS-OTHER'}], u'issuetype': {u'name': u'Bug'}, u'customfield_18130': {u'value': u'S4'}}}

The json dump of jira is {"fields": {"description": "This is the second issue created using the JIRA REST API for account krish", "reporter": {"name": "raghukrish1"}, "versions": [{"name": "10.1"}], "summary": "svcacc_krish second issue creation", "project": {"key": "NSLCM"}, "customfield_13232": {"value": "Internal - Automation"}, "customfield_19030": {"value": "No - Existed Previously"}, "components": [{"name": "NS-OTHER"}], "issuetype": {"name": "Bug"}, "customfield_18130": {"value": "S4"}}}

josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 2, 2017

It could possibly a problem with the rest client package being used. This has to be some kind of authentication problem since it's saying summary can't be set.  The REST api frequently gives errors that are not what they seem.

Thanks Josh. Let me check for that angle.

Suggest an answer