Can someone give me example of what i can do with a step in a workflow?

Shirley Jhirad July 31, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Define New Status or Steps in JIRA Workflow

I found similar questions in the past and answers, but still i don't get the difference between a step and a status

If someone can give me some examples or scenarios it might help clearing things up.

Hope you can help smile

Tnx

Shirley

2 answers

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2016

A step is a point in a workflow. A status is mapped to the step and that is what users see.

Workflow steps are a fairly generic concept in the workflow world.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2016

I think of Steps as being the structure of a workflow.  As Steven says, things move from point to point in a workflow.

The status is the user-friendly display of a step - if you look closely at the options available, you'll see that while steps are fixed points, you can change the status associated with a step - it's a facade for the users.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2016

different names for the same thing unless they are counting the transition as the 'step' because you can have multiple transitions from a status based on values of fields or user role/group

Shirley Jhirad July 31, 2016

Thanks for the quick response Joe!

I found this discussion: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/317465

Where there is some explanation, but i still don't get it =0

Suggest an answer