Can one add a column or change the column order in the Backlog view?

Mike Leap July 15, 2017

I want to add the sprint column to my general backlog view.  Is this possible?

3 answers

7 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2017

What do you mean by "sprint column"?

Mike Leap July 16, 2017

The  Backlog 'view' current shows columns containing the summary, assignee,  issue number, priority and story points.  I would like to add the sprint number to that 'view'.

Capture.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2017

Ah, the field columns, not board columns.

Go to the board config, the card layout section, you can add fields in there (note - that assumes a relatively recent version of JIRA Agile, I seem to remember getting fields into the backlog view is a recent addition)

Like # people like this
Mike Leap July 16, 2017

Thanks.  That worked although the layout isn't exactly want user friendlt IMHO

Like # people like this
John Maloney August 28, 2018

This doesn't appear to work.  I add columns to the Backlog Card Layout but the columns displayed in the Backlog list do not change. 

Update: I guess it does technically work.  But, the value is not displayed as a column in the list.  Instead it is displayed below the issue summary.  I have to agree with the original poster that the UX is less than desirable.  I would prefer to have more control over the columns that are displayed: remove some of the defaults and add additional fields that are displayed as true columns.

Like # people like this
Carlos Uriostegui Garcia October 16, 2018

I tried to add the *Due date* field but this is getting displayed as a row instead of a column.

That's awful.. 

Like # people like this
Vincent Caurier February 27, 2019

Same opinion, there's definitely a UX problem here...

Like # people like this
Keith MacKenzie March 21, 2019

Yes I have he same issue. I cant believe Jira Agile does not  allow a configuration to do this. I must be doing something wrong....?

Like # people like this
Bernard Farrell September 19, 2019

We'd like to remove the Story Points column and add something else. The current approach merely adds a row to the existing line per issue and it's not even labelled. Really not good.

Like Mario Binder likes this
Filip Zabijak February 25, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- seems like it does not work. Do you have other solution for this issue?

Lori Randlett March 17, 2021

Is there a way to move the Issue Number column to the far left?

Like # people like this
Jure July 20, 2021

Any status update on this issue, I'd also prefer to have status as an extra column instead of extra line

Tyson Smith February 10, 2022

Please vote here to add a column to backlog section when your in a board https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-16556. Surprised to see how many people are asking for this for years with no resolution. It's a crucial element of sprint planning and grooming for many of us.  

Like # people like this
5 votes
Ruaan Viljoen January 10, 2020

Since the backlog view does show items in a sprint, stakeholders (and ourselves) would like  more usable view on status of items, so status would be great here.

3 votes
Lucie Keunen August 28, 2019

We also need to be able to display the "due date" as a column in the backlog view (and in the sprint list view, btw).  

Suggest an answer