Can notifications scheme be amended to alert one group/role (PO) to a single status change (not resolution change)?

SamanthaB April 18, 2016

Currently we used a Kanban board with several bespoke columns which are linked to the relevant issue status in the defined workflow. I have currently turned off all notifications in JIRA as the team use the board rather than their inbox to keep up to date with JIRA and this creates less 'noise' in our inboxes. 

What I would like to do however is set a notification permission so that the PO role receives a status change email when a story (not a bug or task) is set to 'Awaiting Approval' on our Kanban board. Our 'Awaiting Approval' status is not linked to the 'Done' resolution. I could set the PO role to get a notification for all status changes but I cannot seem to edit the notification schemes to specifically assign one board status to the  status change notification scheme. 

Is there a way to do this? 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2016

First, don't mix up "permission" with "notification".  They have no relationship (other than if you don't have permission to see an issue, then you won't get notified about it)

It can easily be done though.  Go to the workflow and look at the transition(s) that changes the status from <something> to "awaiting approval".  On the "post-functions" for that, there is one that says "fire event X".  Change that to another event (I'd suggest adding a new event for this, so you can be really certain when it happens).  Now go to the notification scheme and give the PO role a notification for that event.

If you want to do this differenty by issue type, you will need two workflows, and a workflow scheme to tell the project(s) which ones to use for each issue type.

Suggest an answer