Can not filter issues on Custom Field

Ryan Peterson December 16, 2012

We have several custom fields, one is the result of a Bugzilla import called External ID. Another is one called Case #. Both of these fields are defined as text less than 255 characters.

The first problem is from the Issues screen when you click on More Criteria and add one of these custom fields and then enter a value it does not work. Instead you always see the error message: The JIRA server could not be contacted. This may be a temporary glitch or the server may be down.. Searching other fields works just fine, it's only the custom fields that cause this issue.

The second problem is that when using the Quick Search feature, these custom fields are not included in the search. Based on JIRA-7686, https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-7686. When a value that matches external id or case # is searched, it should be returned in the results. Instead, we just simply get no matching issues found.

I've already shut JIRA down, cleared the work directory, and restarted based on another post and that did not fix the issue.

We have gone live with JIRA and transitioned ALL of our users to this system. Currently they are unable to find any issues that they were previously working with as they can not search by the Bugzilla ID (external id) or the support ticket number (Case #).

6 answers

0 votes
Antoine Berthelin January 23, 2014

Hello binaryartist,

I have exactly the same probleme and I have found a work around :

Following query :

project = "MY PROJECT" AND "The custom filed name" = "The Custom filed value"

generate the following error : "The JIRA server could not be contacted. This may be a temporary glitch or the server may be down."

My workaround is to start with custom field parameter, the following query is executed without error :

"The custom filed name" = "The Custom filed value" AND project = "MY PROJECT"

Binaryartist, do you have the same result or a solution ?

Jira team, what do you think ?

Thanks for your help,

Antoine

Note: I have this problem on Jira v5.2.7#850-sha1:b2af0c8 version

0 votes
Deleted user March 11, 2013

For the 'The JIRA server could not be contacted. This may be a temporary glitch or the server may be down' try using another browser. I get that error too when I use IE, but not the other browsers - firefox or chrome

0 votes

No, the issue is Global Type (All Issues) and is added to all projects. Also, in the Issues screen, changing the filter to a single project still does not make the error go away.

0 votes
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2012

Hmm its weird. Maybe this would help.

0 votes

Yes, re-indexing was ran. I just ran again to be sure...same issue persists.

0 votes
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2012

I believe you had perform re-indexing as well?

Suggest an answer