Can mail handler choose the proper project for creating issue?

Mike Lench
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2013

Hi, all

I want to make JIRA work like this:

1. Reporter send e-mail on commonMail@jira-example.com

2. JIRA retrive name of the group by reporter mail

3. JIRA retriv project by reporter's group

4. JIRA create an issue in proper project

Or maybe there are some addons for this. Anybody knows?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Lench
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2013

As summary:

one of the most expensive way - JEMH (Daryl)

one of the cheapest way - configure some rules and folders on your mail-server (Peter)

1 vote
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2013

Hi Mike,

Couldn't you simply create several email address and mail handlers, one per project?

And just let your people send emails to that address. If they don't have create rights in the other projects they will not even be able to use those other email addresses.

And from your explanation i conclude that most of your users work for only one project anyway.

You could also work with some mailbox rules : move the incomming emails based on rules into different folders (one for each project) then you just create a mail handler for each project that will only read the mails in the corresponding folder.

Best regards,

Peter

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2013

Hi Mike,

And what about the second suggestion I make?

Then you'll have only one email address.

You could also create a global support project and let somebody dispatch (move) all the issues to the correct projects.

Best regards,

Peter

Mike Lench
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2013

Hi Peter,

Now our JIRA works this way. But reporters choose wrong e-mail often

And so we get a lot of incorrect issues.

Mike Lench
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2013

Thanks for alternatives, Peter

I'll try your tip with mailbox rules as soon as i can

Global project looks like not good idea. Now we have approximately such way, but it's not effective

1 vote
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2013

Hi Mike

Perhaps you can try to the below third-party plugin which provide a very powerful and extensive feature of the functionality mail handler in JIRA:

Mike Lench
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2013

thanks for reply, Daryl

JEMH is a realy powerfull and it fully satisfied our requirements.

But it too expensive for us (6000$)

are there any alternate solutuons?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2013

Not really. Your other option is to write a mail handler that only does the bits you need (instead of the huge range of functions that JEMH can provide)

Mike Lench
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2013

bad news for me, Nic :)

thanks anyway

Suggest an answer