Can localhost:8080 on personal laptop be replaced by a real website domain?

Shyuan August 3, 2013

Hi folks,

Thanks for reading my question. :) I tried looking for solutions but they weren't catered to my exact needs. I am sorry if this has been asked.

I am new to JIRA download version. I use JIRA for personal projects, I installed JIRA on my laptop. Obviously I have to visit localhost:8080 every time I want to use my JIRA. But I would prefer my JIRA to be on a domain, for example mytracker.com. May I know how can I achieve that? Does JIRA has to be installed on a dedicated server (instead of on a local machine i.e. personal laptop) in order to use domain?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2013

Add to your local host file an entry for mytracker.com with the ip address matching your entry for localhost. You can then type mytracker.com:8080 to access Jira

Add a bookmark or a favorite entry to include the port number.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2013

My answer is for local use only. You wanted to use a domain name instead of localhost.

It can also be used for your local network. The other people on your local network would update their host file with your laptop ip instead of the localhost ip.

Shyuan August 8, 2013

Thank you Norman, this is what I want. :)

0 votes
Shyuan August 8, 2013

Hi guys, thanks for guiding me. (Though, I am not sharing my JIRA with anyone, it's for my personal use) I got some ideas from you guys and I managed to do what I want. However, I am now trying to install on a VPS. :)

0 votes
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2013

What are you trying to accomplish?

Are you trying to share your local instance of JIRA with other folks (ie other users that you want to report issues)? If so - you'll need to use a dynamic dns service to point dns to your machine ( and make sure that the appropriate firewall rules etc are available between you and the public internet).

Shyuan August 8, 2013

Thank you Daniel, however, Norman's answer is more accurate for my needs as I am gonna use JIRA alone, not to share with others :)

Suggest an answer