Can it be Possible As JIRA Administrator I can design "Transition screen" as per my requirement in a Particular step?

Kailash Pathak February 10, 2014

Hi,

I want to Add a Transition screen on Step "Fail" of my Test case in JIRA.

Is it possiable as a Admin i add the field name in Transition screen as per my requirement.

As Step Test case "Fail" i needed following Field in New Screen ::

-Bug Summary
-Priority
-Components
-Affects Versions
-Fix Versions
-Assignee
-Reporter
-Description
-Browse option (For Attachment)

Thanks a Lot!

Regards,

KP

2 answers

0 votes
Kailash Pathak February 11, 2014

Nic,

Actually i want to just confirm from your side too on Roine comments.

Actually as per his comments JIRA Admin can add new transaction screen in "Fail" transactio .He Just need to give field name then map the new screen.

Regards,

Kailash Pathak

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2014

What comments?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2014

Short answer is yes - look at the workflow, find oout what the transition screen for "fail" and amend it.

PLEASE note that you do not mean "step" here, you mean "transition". Steps are static points that you move between and do not have screens because they are irrelevant (a screen for what?).

Nic,

Just to confirm one thing Is there is any transition screen for Fail transition?.

And is it possiable i change that screen as per above fields.

Nic ,Thanks a Lot for your support.

KP

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2014

I have no idea.

It depends on what you have configured in your workflow.

As I said before, look at the workflow to find out what you've done - it will name the screen you need to look at (or say "none" if you haven't defined one - you can always add a screen here if that is how you currently have it)

Hi Nic,

Reply from Roine on transition screen for Fail transition.

Roine Lindvall · 96 karma · 7 hours ago

You just add a Screen in JIRA (as an administrator). In the screen, add the fields you want to have there. Then, when editing the transition, you select the screen in the drop-down.

My Query :

I wnat to just now i as a Admin can design screen with the required field and give this screen some name then select from drop down at Fail transation.

Please if u help me or provide me some more detail.

Regards,

KP

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2014

I don't understand what the problem here is.

You've been told to identify the screen in use for the transtion and then either change it, or swap to a new screen. In both cases, you add the fields you want to see.

There's no question here that has not been answered. I really do not understand where you are stuck.

Nic,

I have to confirm one thing if my JIRA admin degin transation screen for Test case "Fail" step can i locked new Bug using this screen by entering data in follwoing fields ?

-Bug Summary
-Priority
-Components
-Affects Versions
-Fix Versions
-Assignee
-Reporter
-Description
-Browse option (For Attachm

Please correct me

Kailash

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2014

I'm afraid you're not making any sense there

All I can really do is repeat what you've been told several times before. You can put what you want on a transition screen (also, yet again, steps and transitions are different things)

Ok .

Thanks for help

Nic,

I am clear now what you want to say

But i want to confirm last point in my previous comment was that Bug ID is created automatically when i submitted this newly created transaton screen for Test case "FAIL"

Pls clear my last doubt

Thanks

KP

Kailash Pathak February 12, 2014

Nic,

Any Update on my last comment.

Cheers

-Kailash

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2014

I'm afraid I still cannot make any sense of what you are saying.

What Bug ID? Do you mean issue id? What has this got to do with editing a screen that you might be linking into a workflow? You've never mentioned test cases before, is that an issue type?

Nic,

I try to understand you step vise:

1.Newly created transation screen is open when i click on "Fail" button correct.

2.Transation screen have all fields that i mention above

(i.e Issue Type,Bug Summary,Priority,Components,Affects Versions etc )

3.Now after entering data in all fields.

4.When i click on save button of fail transation screen.

5.New Issue ID is created into the system having issue type (bug)

Am i correct ?

That what i want to confirm from you.

Thanks,

Kailash

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2014

No, that's wrong.

1. Correct: Fail is a transition in your workflow, which you've associated a screen with.
  2. Correct: Your screen has the fields you want
  3. Correct: You enter data in the fields
  4. Correct (ish): You click "Save" - you actually click a button with the same name as the transition, so here it will say "Fail", but the action you describe is correct - you are clicking a button to commit the change into Jira
  5. Wrong: Transitions move issues from one status to another. They can only happen when an issue already exists. A transition will not create anything, it updates data on the issue you are pushing through the transition. In other words, asking about "bug id" is pointless, because you already have one, it's the bug id for the issue you are performing the transition on.

I'm now guessing that you're muddled up about what you are doing, or you have not told us what you are actually doing at all. My best guesses at what you *might* be doing are:

1. You are actually talking about issue creation, and not a transition (so I've no idea why you even mentioned transitions)
  2. You have something that is trying to create more issues during a transition (which you've not mentioned at all)

In both cases, you need to start all over again because all the stuff above is about the current issue going through the transition and not really relevant for either of them.

Thanks Nic,

Yes i mean to say "about issue creation" you are right.

So there is no way Issue created when user click on Fail button then finally click on Fail button of transation screen.

Nic,

Please help if you have any solution. its very critical in my project.

I am wating for a good suggesation!

Thanks a LOT

Regards,

Kailash Pathak

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2014

>So there is no way Issue created when user click on Fail button then finally click on Fail button of transation screen.

That makes no sense whatsoever. If they click on fail, they are already IN an issue, there's nothing to create.

I'm still not sure what the question is, but assuming you really are talking about issue creation, then

1. Forget about all the time you've wasted on transition information

2. Look at the "issue type screen scheme"

3. There is a screen in there that will be used when you click "create issue"

4. Put your fields on that screen (or select the one you've done for the transtion)

Nic,

You mean to say when Teast fail we can't create issue of Type (Bug) in the same time.

Regards,

KP

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2014

Yes, you can, with a bit of work with addo-ons or code, but that is NOT what you've been talking about.

We can't work with half-truths, unclear specifications, contradictory statements and you not answering questions, we need clarity. For example, you just said "yes we're talking about issue create", so I told you how to look at issue create, and now you've said exactly the opposite.

PLEASE, make up your mind what you are trying to do, and then EXPLAIN it to us, clearly and simply.

Suggest an answer