Can i send email notifications without configuring a mail server jira?

Claudio Acciani November 4, 2013

I'm trying to setup the email notifications for jira. I want to do this without installing a mail server. Is this possible? And how?

I'm currently experiencing an error "connection refused"

An error has occurred with sending the test email:

com.atlassian.mail.MailException: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: localhost, port: 25;

nested exception is:

java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2013

Hi Claudio,

This is not possible, you need an outgoing mail server to send emails from Jira.

It seems to me that you have an authentication error when trying to connect to the mail server, does your mail user have the correct rights in your mail server?

Best regards,

Peter

Claudio Acciani November 4, 2013

Hi Peter

Thank you for your feedback,

I have configured the server as specified in

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+JIRA's+SMTP+Mail+Server+to+Send+Notifications#ConfiguringJIRA'sSMTPMailServertoSendNotifications-ConfiguringaJNDIlocation

I don't have any mail users configured. I added these configurations in the server.xml

<Resource name="mail/JiraMailServer"
auth="Container"
type="javax.mail.Session"
mail.smtp.host="localhost"
mail.smtp.port="25"
mail.transport.protocol="smtp"
/>
What could be the problem?
Kind regards,
Claudio
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2013

Claudio,

You'll need to use this configuration :

<Context path="" docBase="${catalina.home}/atlassian-jira" reloadable="false">
<Resource name="mail/JiraMailServer"
auth="Container"
type="javax.mail.Session"
mail.smtp.host="mail.yourcompany.com"
mail.smtp.port="25"
mail.transport.protocol="smtp"
mail.smtp.auth="true"
mail.smtp.user="jirauser"
password="mypassword"
/>
</Context>

And request a username and password to your email administrator.

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 4, 2013

The problem is exactly what Peter points out - you haven't got a valid user defined in the settings.

Jira can't send mail via a server that doesn't know who it is. You need to set up the user in your mail system.

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2013

without SMTP Mail Server i don't think it is possible!!

check this troubleshooting doc

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Outgoing+SMTP+not+Sending+out+Mail

Suggest an answer