Can i make custom field required when a different custom field is updated?

Sivan Samira March 27, 2017

Hi All,

we have a custom field called due date. we want a custom field called "plan change reason" to be filled up upon any change of "due date" field. Does anyone have an idea how i can do that without moving between transitions?

Thanks,

Sivan

2 answers

0 votes
Sivan Samira March 28, 2017

Is there a way or maybe an addon that will display a screen when i change a specific field?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2017

Not really.  You can use inline edit to change a field.  There are no hooks for doing extra things that would annoy the user (popups and other things that interrupt a humans flow of activity are bad)

Best option - remove the field from the edit screen so that they have to click a workflow transition to change the field.  Then use scriptrunner, jmwe or one of the other add-ons that can do it to make the comment mandatory.  (Some of them enable you to make the comment mandatory on edit, which may be better too)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2017

There are two different things in your question - making a field mandatory, or calculating something.  I'm not sure which one to answer?

Sivan Samira March 27, 2017

i don't want to calculate anything.

i want that if a field called due date was changed/updated that the person who change that will fill up the reason why he updated it in a custom field called "plan change reason".

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2017

Thanks for clearing up my confusion!

I don't think there's any way to do this on Cloud.  If it were server, you might be able to play some javascript tricks (not recommended, ever) or use something like Behaviours in the ScriptRunner add-on to do it.  But those aren't options for Cloud.

Suggest an answer