Can i add the date a ticket was created to the issue key ?

Marvin de reuck September 27, 2019

Hi All,

My manager recently asked me to create a new JIRA project for one our teams and advised that the issue key needs to have the created_date in it. e.g E_2019/09/27_123

Is there a way to do this ? 

2 answers

2 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2019

Hi, @Marvin de reuck What is your manager’s use case? Perhaps there is another way to skin this cat.  -dave 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2019

agree. the implementation request seems flawed on the surface. maybe if he stated the requirement vs. the solution you could present a suitable solution.

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
2 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2019

No. Issue keys are created sequentially. I doubt it, but there may be a plugin that allows modifying the issue key. There have been lots of discussion about modifying the key structure but I haven't seen any solutions. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2019

Not even a plugin can do this.  The issue key is held in a numeric field for a start, so there's nowhere you could put a date string, and even if you could, all of the code that works with the issue key would have to be rewritten.

I would question the "requirement" for this, I think your manager has come up with a really bad solution for a problem we can probably suggest a more sensible (and possible) way to address it.

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this

Suggest an answer