Can estimates be applied across an entire release in JIRA Portfolio?

steve tolson June 15, 2015

In JIRA Portfolio, can Epics\Story estimates be setup to span the life of a release?

Say for example, I have a fixed release that is 3 months long and I have a Story underneath an Epic that is estimated at 100 hours and this story can be started at the beginning of the project. However, I don't want the story completed in the first hundred hours of the project. The resource will not work on it full time for 2.5 weeks. I would like the estimate to be spread evenly across the 3 month project release instead of upfront.

Can this scenario be setup in JIRA? In practical terms, I'm trying to figure out how to estimate for a Project Managers time on a project. With my current setup in JIRA Portfolio is shows her planned capacity only for the first 2.5 weeks and I would like to spread the 100 hour estimate across the duration of the release.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ryan Porter June 15, 2015

I'm also interested in some kind of feature to enable a slower burn down on certain issues.  The only way that I know for handling this is to break that story apart into smaller tasks and schedule those tasks out across time by manually setting the "Earliest Start Date" on the smaller tasks.  That's a lot of work for the project manager.

If there is a better way then I would love to learn how to do it.  And if not, then a new feature for slowing the burndown on issues would be helpful.

0 votes
Robert Bergman December 17, 2015

I am evaluating JIRA Portfolio and have this problem as well. It would be very nice to have a feature to specify a story as X number of days of work per sprint for the entire release, or something like that.

Suggest an answer