Can different version of JIRA co-exist on one machine?

pamela guo November 19, 2012

JIRA Doc mentions that multiple instances can run on one machine and provides some requirements.

However, we are going to use different version of JIRA (4.1 and 5.1). Can those two instances run on one VM?

Thank you in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Yilin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 19, 2012

It is not recommended, but as far as those two instance running on different TCP port number, it should not be a problem.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2012

That "not recommended" is not an Atlassian thing, it's about resourcing. It doesn't matter that you are running Jira 5.1 and Jira 4.1 on the same machine, you could run more, all on different versions. As long as they're completely independent (different data directories and installations etc).

What is NOT recommended is running two Atlassian applications in the same Container - one Tomcat with two Jira installations for example. But you'll be fine with two Tomcats running a Jira each. As long as the VM has the resources to cope.

0 votes
Suzan Humphrey July 21, 2015

I am trying to do a similar thing, and it won't install.  I've done the custom installation, and while the installation location gets installed, and I can find the service, the application directory is empty.  I only need to co-locate for a very short time: I need to do a zero-outage conversion from 6.2.1 to 6.4, but... if the install doesn't work, but does report that it worked, I've got a problem.  Help?

Suzan

ps: company has a license. Dunno how to associate that with me...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2015

If the services are there, there has to be an install behind them. It's hard to say what might have happened here, you need to go back over the installation and logs to try to find out where things are running. If you can get to both JIRA installs, the system information page will tell ou where they have been installed to. By the way, you won't get a zero-outage conversion. You need to get a copy of the current data and upgrade it, during which time, you won't be able to use the system.

I still need help. 

Where are the installation logs?  I have an empty var.atlassian.application-data.jira64 folder, so the only logs I know of, I can't check.  I have stuff in the opt.atlassian.jira64 folder, but it does not contain all the stuff found in the 6.2.1 version of the same folder (opt.atlassian.jira).  So where do I go to check the install? 

How do I check the service?  I don't know how to verify the service status, as there is no 'status' option with that service.  I haven't been able to prove the JIRA1 service is running, but then I can only prove the JIRA service is running because the website is there - jira1 does not load a website. 

As close to zero as we can make it - we know it's not perfect, but it's as close as we can get it, and gives us a chance to test... IF I can get the install to work!

Thanks.

-Suzan

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2015

I can't tell you - I don't know where you put everything when you did the installation. The versions of JIRA are different and will contain slightly different stuff, but I simply can't tell you what you did. If one JIRA is running, start there - its system info should tell you where the install and data directories for that one exist. As for the other one, look in the installation directory and see if you can find a properties file with "jira home" named in it.

with in the standard structure of an installation, where are the Installation logs? Meaning, if you did a standard install, where would the default location of the log be?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2015

There isn't an installation log as such, it's mostly the initial attempt to start it. The places to look are in /logs beneath the installation directory you gave it, and /logs beneath the jira-home directory you allocated for it.

Suggest an answer