Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Can be Tasks child of Story - Hirearchy setup Epic-Story-Task ?

Hi all,

In some other tool, used in previous company, I had chance to use hirearchy Epic-Story-Task-Subtask. 

In Jira I can see only relation Epic-Story-Subtask. I would like to use Task as child of Story. This should allow me also view of relations / grouping in the roadmap.

Any advice?

Thank you very much in advance.

Br Marjan

1 answer

Hello @Marjan Tusek 

Isn't possible as a task have the same level of a story in Jira.

In Jira (agile) a task is often use as a technical or engineering issue (Upgrade the database...).

Thank you very much for info.

I will change the process of tracking issues. :-)

Best regards,

Marjan

response is missing the point. Adding a child to a story should create a task not a subtask!!! 

Like # people like this

Agree at 100%! 

A "Story" is the "Task" to implement something...remember, JIRA was initially design for Software Development and around Agile best practices...further convoluting this hierarchy will only make things more complex and more difficult to track.

You can create custom "Sub-task" issue types which you can call whatever you want...but the motivation to decompose your work into manageable Sorties is why this restriction is in place...

I think the restriction here which is by design is for good measure. Without these boundaries, most folks could potentially "configure" themselves into a corner full of overengineered workflows and difficult reporting.

Motivate yourselves to always keep things simple...

I am a Technical Program Manager and at times, every bone in my body wants to have the freedom to link various issue types as I see fit but overall, I do appreciate the restrictive nature of the setup...

Keep it simple is a positive mantra.

We have a different workflow for Story/Bug than we do for Tasks.  A Story/Bug tracks progress over sprints.

Sub-tasks are not suited because they cannot link to children.  The assignee cannot break it down into further sub-tasks.

We can 'link' Tasks to the Story, but then team members observe this not as convenient or as binding as children of the story (i.e. subtasks).

In anycase, the Jira doc says inserting Tasks under Stories is supported.

"This means that the parent and child relationship isn’t limited to specific issue types. Rather, any issue type can be both a parent and a child issue — the only exception being subtasks, which can only be a child since there aren’t any issue types below it in the hierarchy."

From: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/what-are-issue-types/

Like Chad McLean likes this

Suggest an answer