Can archived projects be migrated between Jira instances ?

Aisha M May 19, 2022

I am looking for some information on project migration between instances. I have two JIRA instances, I want to know what happens if archived projects are migration from one instance to another. Does it cause any impact ?

Is there any documentation available on this topic, I couldn't find any. 

1 answer

0 votes
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2022

Hi @Aisha M

I also haven't found any clear docs about it. But I have the impression that it should simply be fine.

Why? This feature request requests that after a Jira Data Center to Cloud migration the archived projects should stay archived. In the comments, people talk about that the implementation on Cloud and Data Center for archiving is quite different, so it's not an easy thing to do.

That gave me the impression that it should/might work. I'd recommend to try it out with one archived project.

Or wait for others to comment who know better than I do.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Aisha M May 20, 2022

@Matthias Gaiser _K15t_  Thank you for the comment.

Do we need any additional plugin to help with the project migration between jira instances ? 

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2022

There are various ways to do that. Here are two articles from the official Atlassian docs which both describe doing it with some app:

Maybe that helps?

Cheers,
Matthias.

Aisha M May 20, 2022

@Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ Thank you !

Just another question, will there be an impact to jira if any duplicate project keys are introduced during the migration process ?

Do we have any articles regarding that ? 

I'm just trying to analyze the impact to our jira instance when an archived/or duplicate project keys are introduced from a different jira instance within the same org . . 

Suggest an answer