Can anyone share the experience for connecting jira to LDAP?

SherryX
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2013

jira version: 5.1.8

Currently jira has internal user directory only, but confluence use external user management from jira.

Now we want to connect jira users to LDAP (for authentication only), but in our AD most of the user names are different from jira, what is the best way to do this task? I guess I need the scripts to move users from one user directory to the other, and also change the user IDs, can anyone share the scripts or any advise will be welcome. Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2013

Hi Sherry,

Currently JIRA doesn't have a native function to perform username change, but there is already an improvement request to this feature and we have the information that it is going to be possible in version 6+ see here.

At this stage, there are some other possible methods to rename an user, but none of them are supported by Atlassian, since they are considered customizations. But, even so you may consider one of them:

• There is a third-party plugin (Script Runner plugin) that has a built-in function to rename users without restarting or re-indexing the JIRA instance. Before proceeding with this, however, I'd advise you to read the full description of this script here: Rename a User ID:

You do not need to restart or re-index. However, depending on how prolific the user to be renamed has been, this can make extensive modifications to the database. It's sensible to take a database backup first, to try to do this at a quiet time, and to test afterwards. You can log in as the user you have renamed using either of these plugins - one, two, and test.

• You can also create an XML backup and execute a search and replace on it to change the username. This process is better described in this documentation.

I hope this information has helped.

Cheers

Suggest an answer