Can an Epic be a project

vmaz trane August 1, 2017
I have recently been provided access to jira. it is a SCRUM environment. It appears we have a team "board". But to access the team board I select from the project tab. Is this correct.
From here there are epics , storys etc.
I have multiple projects I want to start managing in an agile manner.
But the set up seems strange.

Can I create an epic as a "new project"  on the team board, then create issues, tasks etc linking them to the epic so that they  all tie in together?

Or do i need a project to be set up and then add the epic , storys etc.

I do know that an epic is a large (or combination of) story but can an Epic be a "Project"

1 answer

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2017

Hello Vmaz,

In JIRA, Project is the core entity which is made up of lot of different things, and issueTypes like Epics , Bugs, Stories are part of the project.

Technically Epic can't be Project in JIRA as Epic is an issueType which is part of Project.  Thus, you need to add a project and then add issueTypes to it.

Functionally, how I approach it, is to have Epic within a project represent a phase of the project, i.e. Phase 1 can be an Epic containing stories pertaining to that phase of the project and so on.

vmaz trane August 2, 2017

Hi Tarun,

Thanks for the feedback, What you have described makes sense however this is not how it has been presented to me hence the post for another opinion.

Can my team have a "dedicated"  Scrum area within our companies account that we can set projects up in or not.

If yes how can we do this?

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2017

Yes, your team can have a dedicated ScrumBoard in the JIRA. You can set permissions such that the board is readable/editable only by your team. But this ScrumBoard will be using an existing project/projects . Thus you can't have a dedicated Scrum Area wherein you can create projects. Because in JIRA anyone with admin righs can create Projects.

vmaz trane August 2, 2017

When i go to create a new project, I select "create" and it goes straight to create issue? I do not have the option to create a new project.

Can you confirm the paralells

Project  = Project

Epic / Story = Requirement

Issue = Task

Regards

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2017

The create button whcih you are clicking is for issue creation and not for project creation. It seems you don't have JIRA admin rights.

Here are the parallels as per my opinion.

Project  = Project

Epic  = Release Requirement (so that it can be broken into stories)

Story = Business requirment  (generally shouldn't be more than 2 weeks of work)

Sub-Task - Implementation details of the Parent Story.

Example -

Story - "As a user I should be able to login to application"

Subtask 1- Create design of login page

Subtask 2 - get SSL certi,

Subtask 3 - Setup DB for user authentication

Subtassk 4 - Integration testing.

Suggest an answer