Can admin approve on behalf of designated approvers?

Seung Yeun Yu April 10, 2017

Hi all,

My team is currently using JIRA for design production projects. 

I have one question that doesn't seem to have proper answer anywhere.

In every approval step, designated approver has to click "Approve" or "Decline" button to proceed to next status of workflow.

Is there any way that admin can approve on behalf of approver when they are not available? 

So far, I can do this by logging in as a user (approver), but would like to know any other way of doing this while logged as admin.

Thank you in advance!! :)

2 answers

1 vote
Jyoti Verma October 31, 2019

Hi Rachel @Rachel Wright 

What if we have more than one approvals - it works great if there is Single approver - but if there are more than 1 approver - it by passes other approvals and Mark the Request Approved all together.

Regards

Jyoti

Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2019

Hi @Jyoti Verma , I'm sorry, but I don't think I understand your question.  Do you have multiple transitions for collecting approval?  Tell us more about your use case and we'll try to assist!

Thanks,
Rachel Wright

0 votes
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2017

Hi Michaela,

The restrictions on those transition buttons are set in your workflow.  Yes, you can edit the behaviors to allow additional users to approve or decline.

I highly recommend you use groups or roles, which provide the greatest amount of flexibility and also allow other projects to share the same workflow.

Implementation:

1. Open your workflow to Edit it

2. Select the "Text" display mode.  (You can also use "Diagram" mode, but my directions and screenshot are from "Text" mode.)

2. Click the "Approve" transition link in the status you'd like to modify

3. Click the "Conditions" tab

4. Click the "Add Condition" link on the right

5. Add a "User Is In Group" or "User Is In Role" condition

In the screenshot below, I've restricted my example "Marketing Approved" transition to users in the project's "Administrators" role.

approval-condition.png

Hope this helps!  Just shout if you have any questions.

And for what it's worth (not that you need a lecture from a stranger) but it's probably better, for auditing purposes, not to login as another user.  If anything were to "go wrong" it would be very hard to determine who caused the issue.  :)

Cheers,

Rachel Wright

Seung Yeun Yu April 12, 2017

WOW!!!! Magically solved!

Thank you so much for your easy guideline! :)

Hope your day goes wonderfully.

Cheers also,

Michaela

Davide Orbitello July 27, 2023

Hey @Rachel Wright 

sorry to bring up this post after many years.

I'm following your instructions, but I, as an admin project, still cannot approve or decline the request.

It still wants the approval of only the approving manager, but I as an admin, cannot do it

Suggest an answer