Can a workflow only be associated with one Hipchat room, or are separate workflows required to send notifications to different rooms?

Monika May 17, 2014

Our dev team creates an individual Hipchat room per Jira Project, to keep information separate and easier to read.

We would like to send transition notifications to Hipchat rooms when issues move through the workflow, but it seems that the post funtion to send that Hipchat notification is a global one, and cannot be associated with a specific project when that workflow is assigned.

Other than creating a new copy of the workflow for each project, is there a way to send Hipchat notifications to the room assocated with the project?

2 answers

0 votes
Peter Warrick March 19, 2015

I too have this exact same issue. We are looking to associate a HipChat room per project. We are also looking to use one set of workflows for all our projects to ensure consistency. 

However this does not seem possible as the room associated to the project must be defined within the workflow for the project. Which means we would have to have copies of our workflow "template" for each project so that we can change the HipChat room in all our transitions post functions. 

This has the issue of making it time consuming to create a new project. We have to make a copy of all the different workflows in the workflow scheme and then associate them to the new project. Then we have to go into each workflow and change all the transition post functions to point to the new room for the project. Time consuming to say the least and will create quite a mess. 

Furthermore, if we want to make a change to how we handle things in a our standard workflow, we can't just change it in one place. We have to go through and change all the copies. 

I'd like to make a functional recommendation for Atlassian here for HipChat integration. Suggest that a field is added to the HipChat Integration view for a project that states the "default" room for Hipchat post functions. This can then be used in the workflow as one of the tags when posting to hip chat. Just like $issue or $user. This would be $default_room. Then only one workflow is needed and it doesn't need to be edited to change the room for the project. Just the default room needs to be changed. 

We are a company of 800 employees with a good 40 projects that we need to bring up in JIRA. I really like the HipChat integration but I feel it is necessary to organize the integrations into rooms associated to projects. Otherwise the only other option is to use the same room which will just be a mess of notifications that everyone will ignore. 

Would love to work with Atlassian on this if they feel it is worthwhile.

Regards,

Peter

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2014

Creating separate workflows is the only option in onDemand. On the downloaded version, you can use the Go2Group Hipchat plugin to configure rooms per project!

Suggest an answer