Can a transition be limited to a subset of resolutions?

Eric Palmitesta November 13, 2017

I have two "ending" states: Done and Rejected.  I have several Resolutions, including Done, Won't Do, Duplicate, and Can't Reproduce.

When an issue is transitioned to Done, I have a Post-Function that will set the Resolution to Done.

When an issue is transitioned to Rejected, I open the Resolve Issue Screen where the user, among other things, can select a Resolution.

Is there a way to ensure that a user cannot transition to Rejected and then select a Resolution of Done?  I only want them to be able to select Won't Do, Duplicate or Can't Reproduce.  I looked at the transition's Validators but none of them seemed to match what I'm looking for.

2 answers

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2017

I suggest you always use the jira.field.resolution.include option, not the exclude one. That way if you need to add another resolution not applicable to the transition you won't need to update all the transitions you don't want it to apply to. From my experience once you determine the resolutions you want for a particular issue type and transition they seldom change but new issue types with associated resolutions will grow.

Eric Palmitesta November 17, 2017

I don't know where to find jira.field.resolution.include.  I'm using Jira Cloud, and looking at this page https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/workflow-properties-776636709.html but I can't see where I can edit jira.field.resolution.include and I'm also not sure what value to set there.  @Alexey Matveev said "1, 2, 3" which I guess are resolution ID numbers?  If so, where do I get them from?

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2017

Hello, 

You should restrict resolutions on the status level. That would be out of the box. Just add status property

jira.field.resolution.include =1,2,3

You can read more here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/workflow-properties-861253674.html?_ga=2.153000569.1930125837.1508947508-1525820165.1497939199p

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2017

Just a minor correction: What @Alexey Matveev is suggesting is a Transition Property, not a state property. Make sure you assign the property to the action, not state.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2017

@Steven F Behnke

Thank you for correction

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2017

:)

What if I add another resolution that is acceptable when transitioning to Done?  Basically I want to say:

If transitioning to Done, here are your available Resolutions (Work Completed, Fixed Externally, ...)

If transitioning to Rejected, here are your available Resolutions (Won't Do, Duplicate, ...)

?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2017

That works fine - You would have two actions:

• Done - limited to Work Completed, Fixed Externally, Etc
  • Rejected - Limited to Won't Do, Rejected, Etc

I don't understand what you're referring to.  What do you mean by "you would have two actions"?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2017

Show us your workflow.

Suggest an answer