Can a transition be limited to a subset of resolutions?

I have two "ending" states: Done and Rejected.  I have several Resolutions, including Done, Won't Do, Duplicate, and Can't Reproduce.

When an issue is transitioned to Done, I have a Post-Function that will set the Resolution to Done.

When an issue is transitioned to Rejected, I open the Resolve Issue Screen where the user, among other things, can select a Resolution.

Is there a way to ensure that a user cannot transition to Rejected and then select a Resolution of Done?  I only want them to be able to select Won't Do, Duplicate or Can't Reproduce.  I looked at the transition's Validators but none of them seemed to match what I'm looking for.

2 answers

1 vote
Alexey Matveev Community Champion Nov 13, 2017

Hello, 

You should restrict resolutions on the status level. That would be out of the box. Just add status property

jira.field.resolution.include =1,2,3

You can read more here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/workflow-properties-861253674.html?_ga=2.153000569.1930125837.1508947508-1525820165.1497939199p

Just a minor correction: What @Alexey Matveev is suggesting is a Transition Property, not a state property. Make sure you assign the property to the action, not state.

Alexey Matveev Community Champion Nov 13, 2017

@Steven Behnke

Thank you for correction

Steven Behnke Community Champion Nov 13, 2017

:)

What if I add another resolution that is acceptable when transitioning to Done?  Basically I want to say:

If transitioning to Done, here are your available Resolutions (Work Completed, Fixed Externally, ...)

If transitioning to Rejected, here are your available Resolutions (Won't Do, Duplicate, ...)

?

Steven Behnke Community Champion Nov 17, 2017

That works fine - You would have two actions:

• Done - limited to Work Completed, Fixed Externally, Etc
  • Rejected - Limited to Won't Do, Rejected, Etc

I don't understand what you're referring to.  What do you mean by "you would have two actions"?

Steven Behnke Community Champion Nov 17, 2017

Show us your workflow.

1 vote
Joe Pitt Community Champion Nov 17, 2017

I suggest you always use the jira.field.resolution.include option, not the exclude one. That way if you need to add another resolution not applicable to the transition you won't need to update all the transitions you don't want it to apply to. From my experience once you determine the resolutions you want for a particular issue type and transition they seldom change but new issue types with associated resolutions will grow.

I don't know where to find jira.field.resolution.include.  I'm using Jira Cloud, and looking at this page https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/workflow-properties-776636709.html but I can't see where I can edit jira.field.resolution.include and I'm also not sure what value to set there.  @Alexey Matveev said "1, 2, 3" which I guess are resolution ID numbers?  If so, where do I get them from?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

26,473 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you