Can a sub-task screen be re-used in another instance without overwriting the original

Vicki Miller June 28, 2016

We created a sub-task for JIRA incident.  This is where we track the defect process.  When there is more than one JIRA  Incident sub-task, it overwrites the original sub-task.  We would like to find a way for each JIRA incident sub-task to retain the data that was originally entered and not overwrite the previous JIRA Incident sub-tasks.  Is there a way to do this?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2016

>When there is more than one JIRA  Incident sub-task, it overwrites the original sub-task.

I'm sorry, that makes no sense to me.  Do you mean "new incidents update an existing subtask", and you actually need it to create new ones?  If so, you'll need to fix the process that is creating these sub-tasks.

Vicki Miller June 28, 2016

I guess I didn't explain it very well.  Whenever we have a defect, we create a sub-task called JIRA Incident.  When the defect is fixed but now something else is broken, we create a new JIRA Incident.  When we do that, the new JIRA Incident sub-task overwrites the first JIRA Incident because it uses the same sub-task screen.  You can see two sub-tasks but the first sub-task overwrites the summary and description so it looks like we have duplicate sub-tasks.  We would like to keep the second sub-task from overwriting the first sub-task but can't figure out how to do it.  I hope this is a better explanation.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2016

I'm afraid it doesn't help.  " When we do that, the new JIRA Incident sub-task overwrites the first JIRA Incident because it uses the same sub-task screen." simply isn't how JIRA does anything, and I don't understand it.

The only way I can get close to that is that you're not creating a new incident, you're editing the existing one.

Could you explain exactly how you "create new JIRA incident"?

Vicki Miller June 29, 2016

The original JIRA Incident sub-task is created using summary = Testing failed and description = Test step 1 failed.  The JIRA Incident sub-task gets closed as the defect was fixed.  Now a second JIRA Incident sub-task is created for a new defect with summary = Second test failed and description = Test step 10 failed.  When the second sub-task creation is saved, the new summary and description overwrites the first sub-task's summary and description so now we have two sub-tasks with the same summary and description.  This is not what we want.  We need each incident to retain what was created and we can't figure out how to keep subsequent sub-tasks from overwriting previous sub-task's summary and descriptions.  Hopefully, I've conveyed this well enough.  Thanks, Vicki

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2016

Could you explain exactly how you get to "a second JIRA incident sub-task is created"?

The rest of your comment is helpful, but we need to understand how your subtasks are being created.

Suggest an answer