Can a field from a task be carried into a subtask and automatically be updated when the task is updated?

chris hall June 15, 2012

If we assign a due date (for example) for a task and also add the due date field to a subtask, is there a way to link the fields so that when one is updated it updates the other? If this is possible, does it only apply to certain field types? Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2012

Jira's issues are all separate entities really. Subtasking is a special link which allows the time tracking on subtasks to roll up to the parent and shows the relationship between child/parent issues, but it does nothing more than that.

So, no. You'll need some coding to handle that.

chris hall June 15, 2012

thanks for the quick response

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2012

Sorry it wasn't particularly positive. I do think the relationships between parent and childen could be improved, but I can't think of a decent suggestion on how to improve it in a generic way that will help a lot of Jira users.

The best I've done without having to do any code myself is to use the Jira Toolkit to display some of the parent information on the child issue (rather then duplicating it) but that can't be searched...

Suggest an answer