Can a custom 'Group Picker' field automatically be set based on 'Assignee'?

GaryN October 28, 2014

I apologize if this question has already been answered but I could not find a related question...

Our engineering organization uses a Scrum Team structure.  We have adopted a JIRA process where the Assignee must be a real-life/breathing human.  However when running a single JIRA query, our managers would like to sort Open Bugs (for example) based on team...not by individual assignee.  What we have done in the past is have a custom "Responsible Team" field that was independent from assignee.  That is, if a bug got re-assigned to another engineer in a different scrum team, people would very often fail to update the "Responsible Team" field.  Instead, we would like the "Responsible Team" aka Group Picker field be automatically updated by the Assignee (i.e. by leveraging JIRA's Users and Groups).

So my question is, can one create a custom group picker field that automatically gets updated based on a the assignee field?

1 answer

2 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2014

Yes, using the "Set a field as a function of other fields" from the JIRA Workflow Toolbox plugin:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.fca.jira.plugins.workflowToolbox.workflow-toolbox

Add the post function off of your create transition in workflow, and you can set the value of your custom field based off the value set in the assignee field.  You'll need to associate each valid assignee with a target option of your custom field.

smile

GaryN October 28, 2014

Thank you so much Natalie!

Suggest an answer