Can a JIRA Cloud plugin create a custom field?

Arturas Rimkus March 16, 2016

I'm trying to understand the possibilities of JIRA plugins. For instance, can a plugin:

• Create a custom field in the user's JIRA instance?
  • Create a quick filter?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2016

When you say "create a custom field", do you mean "create a new field of one of the existing types" or "implement a new type of custom field"?

It's a similar question for the quick filter - do you mean add a new filter to a board, or implement one inside the Connect add-on?

Regarding the custom field, I would like to understand both options - creating a new field of existing type, and creating a new type. Are either or both possible?

Regarding the quick filter, I want a new quick filter to appear on the user's board (on the Backlog screen) upon installing the add-on. Can this be done?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2016

Ok,

I'm not sure about the first - I think an admin-level Connect add-on might be able to create custom fields of existing types, but I've not tried it myself.

A Connect add-on can not add a new type of field, but it could conceivably create a way to store field-like data outside JIRA, so it would look similar.

A Connect add-on would not be able to reconfigure a board as far as I can tell.

Thanks Nic, I'll look into admin-level add-on possibilities.

Suggest an answer