Can You Set a Resolution Based on a Previous Status

Haddon Fisher December 15, 2013

Is it possible to set a resolution for an issue based on the path it took through the workflow using only what's available to OnDemand customers?

Here's our use case:
We use "Resolved" and then "Closed" statuses at the end of all of our workflows to allow the requesting group an opportunity to comment before we close the ticket. I'm setting up a new business unit, and their process involves an approval at the beginning of the ticket. If it's approved, it goes through a few statuses before hitting the "Resolved"->"Closed". If it's rejected, they'd like it to directly to "Resolved", however they also want to have a different resolution to identify the issues they rejected.

Is there a way to single out the issues that progressed on the 'rejected' track and flag them with a different resolution? I realize we could use a different status, but that's going to gum up some other things and I'd rather not do that if we can.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jason Hensler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2013

Since your using ondemand there is probably not a way to manage this that I can think of. If you were self-hosted you might be able to set a custom field with a resolution when moving into "Resolved" and then copy that fields value to set the resolution code when moving to "Closed" (JIRA Suite Utilities plug-in) or (I'm guessing you can have a script work from the issue history) use the Script Runner plug-in to set the resolution.

I know this is not what you were asking exactly but, given your using ondemand, have you thought of setting the resolution code when you move this issue to the "Resolved" step? You could set a "rejected" or "Solved" resolution code as a post function in the transition to the "Resolved" step as it sounds like aside from the requesting group making final remarks, the issue is technically "resolved".

That's actually an interesting idea, storing some flag in a hidden custom field and using that to set the resolution. My only concern is that the 'Resolution' field might not match a 'Not Approved' copied from a custom field to one set using the field itself, but I'll try it and see.

That worked! Here's what I did:

1) Create a new field to stash the resolution you want. I made mine a single line text field.
2) Add a post function in a transition in each path to set the 'stash' field to whatever you want the resolution to be.
3) In the final transition, I added a post validator to copy the value of 'Stash' to 'Resolved'. I first tried using the 'Copy Value From Field to Field', but this didn't work; I had to use 'Copy Value From Other Field'.

Suggest an answer