Can Sonar metrics for a project be viewed on Bamboo or JIRA somehow?

We're using JIRA OnDemand and have been testing Bamboo as a self hosted server. We are evaluating whether to move to OnDemand Bamboo because this is the only we can use the JIRA + Bamboo integration features.

For each of our projects, we would like if we could display Sonar code metrics in some convenient place e.g. such as on the JIRA project page or the Bamboo project page. Can this be done? How do our options change if we move to OnDemand Bamboo?

We've been testing the following Sonar plugin that has gadgets available for it that displays Sonar metrics:

http://docs.marvelution.com/display/BAMSON/Documentation+Home

However, it isn't made clear how you add these gadgets to your project pages and the code metric widget that appears on the Sonar tab this plugin adds to Bamboo doesn't work on Bamboo 4.2. Also, OnDemand Bamboo does not support custom plugins such as this Sonar plugin.

2 answers

If you want to see Sonar metrics within Bamboo, best file an issue with Marvelution (creators of the sonar plugin) to come up with with a way of doing that. As you have found out, we do not have any way for this plugin to be installed on OnDemand.

Hi Sean,

Sorry for the delay, but we had the same concerns 3 years ago and we did it with CAST Software (a sonar competitor), under JIRA (not "on demand" for us)

We build our own jira "tab panel plugin" to get the code metrics, to create a tab "CAST Code quality" close to the tab "Subversion commit".

By this way, on the jira issue, you have the code updated, added or modified (subversion) and the quality metrics refering to this code (cyclomatic complexity, nb of "select *"...) . For the Project officer, this is a good way to say "I close / don't close the Issue".

You can see the result here (slide #12) :

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,982 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot