Can Release button on Release tab sheet of Version summary page execute "Release" instead of "Build and Release"

Sean Dockery August 30, 2012

In the Manage Versions administration page, the cog wheel drop down menu for an unreleased version includes the actions "Release" and "Build and Release". In our environment, we are not configured to allow for "Build and Release" to succeed, so it results in a 401 FORBIDDEN error when run by most project administrators.

On the Release tab sheet of the Version summary page, there is only a single Release button and it only executes the "Build and Release" action, which results in the 401 FORBIDDEN error I described earlier. Our project administrators are tripping over this limitation all the time when trying manage versions in their project.

Is there a way to change the behaviour of this Release button through configuration or expose a second button that executes the "Release" action instead of the "Build and Release" action?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2012

Have you tried to edit velocity templates in jira. As far as I can see any kind of modifications to the user interface is either by plugin which change the template for you, javascript modifing HTML on the fly or manually editing velocity templates by the hand.

Look up for .vm files in your jira install directory. Filenames are pretty descriptive and modifing one of them should do the thing for you.

Be sure to upgrade your jira upgrade procedure in order to copy the file from the old instance to the new one, or at least do the same thing as I described above.

Sean Dockery January 17, 2013

While I imagine that this is the currently available solution, we don't plan to maintain customizations of JIRA.

It would be nice if the Bamboo action performed by the Release button was selectable through JIRA configuration.

Suggest an answer