Can Jira be included in web app?

aminamyna December 1, 2014

Hi all,

I'm new to the JIRA community, so I hope you will forgive any noob questions and welcome them warmly. 

I am wondering as product manager whether JIRA can be included in my product as a ticketing solution?

I have a ticketing feature in my web product, I don't want my engineers to build it from scratch. We are considering using JIRA but we are wondering whether that's even possible.

Any guidelines ? I have found that JIRA can integrate with web server, I was wondering how to have it as part of the product without the user having to feel that they are moving to JIRA. 

Thanks in advance for the input. Feel free to get back to me with questions. 

2 answers

1 vote
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2014

Hi Amina,

You could possibly add a Issue Collector from JIRA in the web page you want - see Using the Issue Collector. Alternatively, if you're looking for something a bit more tailored, you can build something using the JIRA Rest APIsmile

I hope this helps!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2014

>I am wondering as product manager whether JIRA can be included in my product as a ticketing solution?

It's effectively a standalone application, so you're not going to "include it in a product" in the sense most people would use that sentence.  

However, You have options - there are a few ways to poke data in without leaving your current application (mostly over REST), but the easiest off-the-shelf way is the issue collectors - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+the+Issue+Collector

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2014

Bother. Opened question, wrote answer, Mattheus beat me before I refreshed. Make sure you mark him right first!

aminamyna December 1, 2014

Thanks Nic and Matheus. I have looked into the Issue Collector and it seems that the use case is for leaving feedback regarding issues on the site. While that's a cool feature, it's not the one I was thinking about. What I would like to have in my website is a means for creating issues like "need to fill in missing IDs", assigning this issue to one of the users of the project, and being able to track progress for the overall project. Does that make sense ? My understanding is that the Issue Collector is NOT able to do that, and is more like a bag of issues. Is my understanding correct ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 1, 2014

The obvious use case is simple feedback forms, but you can do more with it. The issue collectors create issues - you can use it to put in issues like "need to fill in missing ids" with no problem, then track its progress in Jira.

Suggest an answer